Fun Visual Studio 2010 Wallpapers

Two weeks ago I blogged about a cool new site that allows you to download and customize the Visual Studio code editor background and text colors (for both VS 2008 and VS 2010 version). The site also allows you to submit and share your own Visual Studio color schemes with others.

Another new community site has recently launched that allows you to download Visual Studio 2010 themed images that you can use for your Windows desktop background.  You can visit the site here: http://vs2010wallpapers.com/  In addition to browsing and downloading Visual Studio themed wallpapers, you can also submit your own into the gallery to share with others.

[In addition to blogging, I am also now using Twitter for quick updates and to share links. Follow me at: twitter.com/scottgu]

Browsing Wallpaper Images

The site has dozens of wallpaper images that you can browse through and choose from.  They range from the cool and abstract:

image

To the fun and silly:

image

image

image

Enabling the Wallpaper Images as your Windows Desktop

You can zoom in on any image (hover over the image and then click the “zoom” button that appears over it) and then download it to be your Windows desktop image.  If you visit the site using Internet Explorer, you can also zoom in on the image, then right click on the image and choose the “Set as Background” context menu item to enable it as your Windows desktop.

Note: you want to make sure you download the zoomed-in/high resolution version of the wallpaper to make sure it looks good as the wallpaper on your desktop.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Wednesday, May 12, 2010 11:09 PM by ScottGu

Comments

# re: Fun Visual Studio 2010 Wallpapers

Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:20 AM by shiju

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info

Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:21 AM by Jayasankar Pandyat

Cool!!! Lemme check it...

Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:34 AM by Renju

Hi Scott,

Nice pictures....

Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:25 AM by Juraj

Am I daft this morning or what? I can't click on Zoom button no matter what, and I don't see anything in the HTML code to help me either... So I can't download larger versions :(

Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:29 AM by jack.niu

Wow, nice wallpapers!

Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:05 AM by Pranav Ainavolu

Really funny wallpapers :)

thnx!

Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:01 AM by deeptechtons

could have made wallpapers more abstract & Fractal . I don't like any of these !! No offense. :D

Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:47 AM by Naveed Saqib

Thanks for sharing cooool wallpapers :)

Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:13 AM by ersan

No 1920x1080 ones?

Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:15 AM by axshon

Darn, I misread this and thought VS2010 now had the ability to give the code editor windows a background wallpaper rather than a solid color.

Hmmmm.. whaddya think, Scott? Wasn't VS2010 written in WPF? Seems like it wouldn't be too hard. Give it a background color and image and an image transparency so you could be sure to get a nice contrast with the code even when you have a high contrast image.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:54 AM by Dan Wygant

Nifty! sometimes it is fun to have fun with the tools of the trade - brushes away the gray and brightens ones day.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:05 AM by Pranav Ainavolu

@Juraj Download the image rename the extension to jpg. It will open :)

Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:56 PM by Eric

Eric

Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:54 PM by Gary

Some of them look pretty good.  It's too bad they are all 1280x800.  Who uses VS in that resolution?

Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:06 PM by Mohammad Abdulfatah

As the author of one of the wallpapers shown in this post, I take great offense in having my VS Jolly Roger wallpaper lumped into the "fun and silly" category. Pirates and their culture are an integral part of our trade as software developers. Why do you think we have an arrrrrgc and an arrrrrrgv in the C programming language? It's an homage to our forefathers, the Mighty Pirates(tm). There's nothing remotely silly about that.

Just kidding of course. And thank you for the plug.

Friday, May 14, 2010 12:45 AM by habdulrauf

Thanks

Friday, May 14, 2010 3:41 AM by ScottGu

@Giedrius

>>>>>>> Is it just me, or visual studio 2010 has so many bugs, that i would prefer to have visual 2008 wallpaper, to remind those good times, when you had no need to restart studio hundred times a day. It's really really buggy, when can we expect to have SP1?

If you can send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) we can have someone help investigate.  In general most of the crash reports we've seen are caused by older extensions that people have installed.  Do you have any extensions installed?

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, May 14, 2010 3:41 AM by ScottGu

@Eric,

>>>>>>>> Sorry to be negative, but at this point if I had VS 2010 wallpaper, it would cause me to make obscene finger gestures at my computer monitor even more than I am now.  Maybe C# and ASP.NET developers are having a ball with VS 2010, but as a mixed-mode C++ developer, I am fighting far too many problems than should have made it into a production release.  I need hotfixes, not wallpaper.

If you can send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) I can put you in touch with the C++ team to help.

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, May 14, 2010 4:22 AM by Zeeshan Umar

Wao Nice Wall Papers

Friday, May 14, 2010 7:03 AM by shaggygi

Calling designers.... Create some great wallpaper for Blend!

Friday, May 14, 2010 10:34 PM by Eric Mertzlufft

Awesome... Very nice!

Sunday, May 16, 2010 1:31 AM by greg

So uhm, what year it is? Are there any developers left that use a single monitor? Why are there no wallpapers for wide desktops (2+ monitors)?

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:15 AM by Pierrick

Thanks Scott, great info

Sunday, May 23, 2010 4:20 PM by Zai

Hi Scott,

The Visual Studio 2010 is displaying license information as registered to Owner: Microsoft and Organization: Microsoft. This is from MSDN Premium subscription. Any Idea how do we change the Registered owner information?

Sunday, May 23, 2010 6:36 PM by snahider

Time to pimp my PC, thanks Scott.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 10:54 AM by chintanpshah

Fun with work is good. I downloaded some wallpapers but don't have VS 2010. Can I use it in VS 2008?

Monday, June 14, 2010 10:29 AM by phil2415

Monday, June 14, 2010 6:32 PM by ScottGu

@phil2415,

>>>>>> I have to agree Giedrius, VS2010 is really buggy, I'm constantly having to restart it. The only extensions I'm using are the AJAX Control Toolbox and DayPilot Pro.  Maybe one of those is causing the problems but it's driving me crazy. :(

Can you send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) with more details?  I can then loop you in with people on the VS team to investigate what the problems are.

Thanks,