Free Video Training: ASP.NET MVC 3 Features

A few weeks ago I blogged about a great ASP.NET MVC 3 video training course from Pluralsight that was made available for free for 48 hours for people to watch.  The feedback from the people that had a chance to watch it was really fantastic.  We also received feedback from people who really wanted to watch it – but unfortunately weren’t able to within the 48 hour window.

The good news is that we’ve worked with Pluralsight to make the course available for free again until March 18th.  You can watch any of the course modules for free, through March 18th, on the www.asp.net/mvc website here:

image

The 6 videos in this course are a total of 3 hours and 17 minutes long, and provide a nice overview of the new features introduced with ASP.NET MVC 3 including: Razor, Unobtrusive JavaScript, Richer Validation, ViewBag, Output Caching, Global Action Filters, NuGet, Dependency Injection, and much more.

Scott Allen is the presenter, and the format, video player, and cadence of the course is really excellent. It provides a great way to quickly come up to speed with all of the new features introduced with the new ASP.NET MVC 3 release.

Introductory ASP.NET MVC 3 course also coming soon

The above course provides a good way for people already familiar with ASP.NET MVC to quickly learn the new features in the V3 release.

Pluralsight is also working on a new introductory ASP.NET MVC 3 course series designed for developers who are brand new to ASP.NET MVC, and who want an end to end training curriculum on how to come up to speed with it.  It will cover all of the basics of ASP.NET MVC (including the new Razor view engine), how to use EF code first for data access, using JavaScript/AJAX with MVC, security scenarios with MVC, unit testing applications, deploying applications, and more.

I’m excited to pre-announce that we’ll also make this new introductory series free on the www.asp.net/mvc web-site for anyone to watch. I’ll do another blog post linking to it once it is live and available.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Wednesday, March 9, 2011 11:44 PM by ScottGu
Filed under: , , ,

Comments

# re: Free Video Training: ASP.NET MVC 3 Features

Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:49 AM by sebastianh

pluralsight is an incredible opportunity for anyone willing to learn .net. great job!

Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:53 AM by dušan

thx, those videos are really great quality. appreciate it ;)

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:09 AM by Azar Ali Zain

Thanks - I missed to watch it before, will do it now!

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:10 AM by Martin McMahon

Pluralsight is a great resource. I think this deal is a win win :)

Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:00 AM by Sumith P D

Great effort from microsoft and pluralsight to bring developers up-to-speed on this fantastic technology.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:36 AM by Asif Huddani

Thanks - I missed to watch it before, will do it today....

Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:07 AM by mailfolorunso

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!! this is a millenium gift from Redmond !!! Am yet to recovered from the experience i had from listening (just a track of the MVC 3 section) to SCOTT ALLEN since then !! Now i can continue the 'MAD' experience !! Thanks a great deal the Gu ! Awesome !

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:42 AM by skin256

Thank you, pluralsight really does have great training material.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:27 AM by Andreas Kroll

I already have the yearly subscription, and the quality of the material really is awesome across all different topics.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:03 AM by Samson

Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:42 PM by Eitan

awesome. thanks ScottGu

Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:07 PM by ali62b

I missed the free jQuery for .NET developers videos. Is it possible to make them available too?

Thanks Scott .

Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:50 PM by Ben

I didn't get to finish watching the whole things, so I bought a subscription. Now i get to watch them all anytime I want for $30.00/month.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:40 PM by Tom

Scott, you're the man.  Thanks to both you and Pluralsight!

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:35 PM by av

Much appreciated as vids are nice and Allen is a good presenter,  HOWEVER this a little odd....why didn't you promote TEKPUB.COM asp.net mvc 2 videos with Steven Sanderson?

I know you already hired him, but deal with Tekpub.com would have been even more cost effective for you and they were first on the market with great series.

Should help out the little guys too, especially given your huge reach

Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:08 PM by Madhu

Thanks for the great resource. I appreciate your effort making this resource available for the developer.

Thank you once again.

Friday, March 11, 2011 2:32 AM by srinivasareddyp

I liked it. Great video. Where can can i get previous demos. Thanks

Friday, March 11, 2011 3:03 AM by RichB

It cracks me up when I read the "we worked with..." euphemism.

Can't you just say you gave them some cash?

Friday, March 11, 2011 5:05 AM by A Rocket Scientist

Friday, March 11, 2011 5:08 AM by Renjith Maxy

Awesome Scott keep exploring and sharing.

Friday, March 11, 2011 7:09 AM by ash

that's great ... i missed the last one but not this one :-)

Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:59 PM by ExistingV

Nice videos. Keep it up

Sunday, March 13, 2011 3:10 AM by cristian_t

Thanks for sharing this great resource!

Sunday, March 13, 2011 3:23 AM by Dileep kumar

I missed the first time, not gonna miss this

Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:49 PM by josh g

Very helpful video series!  I second re-opening the jQuery videos!

Monday, March 14, 2011 7:07 AM by jason palmer

awesome, i had never heard of these training people

Monday, March 14, 2011 10:27 AM by kwyjibo

As someone with a PluralSight subscription (as of just a week ago!), I have to tell you that their video training is EXCELLENT! I highly recommend it. They even cover OO Design/Patterns and principles in depth, which is great. I've gotten so tired of having every Design Patterns/SOLID principles training I find be Java-centric. Finally, a .NET-centric version!

I've tried so many video training sites, because I learn better from watching. I like TekPub, too, but PluralSight is my new favorite. The best .NET videos I have found so far.

Monday, March 14, 2011 11:36 AM by Sebastian

How can I download those videos? Please help

Monday, March 14, 2011 1:45 PM by spinmonkey

Thank you!  I had to rush through the session the first time.  This helps a lot.  I, too, found te entry-level, monthly subscription surprisingly affordable, and purchased one, to review things in better detail.  Best training money I have spent for a long time.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:08 AM by small peter

Wow, this is a great video! Really appreciate this tutorial.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:55 PM by Oliver

Hi,ScottGu. I have a question about CodeFirst, as varchar/nvarchar/char/nchar type of MSSQL is matched  string type in MVC Model calss, but which type can be used for Xml type in MSSQL, i try to use XElement type, but it cannot be compiled.

Thanks very much.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:48 AM by ScottGu

@Samson,

>>>>>> Any chance of getting these training videos made with sub titles for those of us with hearing problems? Or making the transcripts available to follow along with?

I followed up with Pluralsight on this.  Unfortunately they don't have this functionality implemented yet - but they said it is coming later this year.

Sorry!

Scott

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:51 AM by ScottGu

@av,

>>>>>> .why didn't you promote TEKPUB.COM asp.net mvc 2 videos with Steven Sanderson?

Right now tekpub doesn't have a MVC3 series out yet.

I actually tweeted a link to a free Tekpub 48 hours of content last month: http://twitter.com/#!/scottgu/status/40661787619622912

We love great content for .NET from everyone!

Hope this helps,

Scott

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:52 AM by ScottGu

@RichB,

>>>>>> It cracks me up when I read the "we worked with..." euphemism. Can't you just say you gave them some cash?

Actually we didn't pay them anything....

Thanks,

Scott

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:52 AM by ScottGu

@A Rocket Scientist,

>>>>>> Thanks! This video training course is really great. Unfortunately I missed the free jQuery videos. Is it possible to make them available again as well?

I'm not sure if they'll be offering that course again for free.  Right now their plans are to keep offering the MVC3 one above, and then an intro MVC3 one next week.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:53 AM by ScottGu

@KJRB,

Can you send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) with more details on this?  I can then have someone help.

Thanks,

Scott

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:54 AM by ScottGu

@Oliver,

>>>>> I have a question about CodeFirst, as varchar/nvarchar/char/nchar type of MSSQL is matched  string type in MVC Model calss, but which type can be used for Xml type in MSSQL, i try to use XElement type, but it cannot be compiled.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:48 AM by Dave

Disappointed.  The overview sounded great, like I was going to learn some great new things about MVC 3.0. Sadly, the rest of the talk was just MVC 101...  I mean, at least it was free, but it wasn't enlightening in the least.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:35 AM by KJRB

I run the MVC 3 install using WPI  .. one more time today (I run it 3 or 4 times before without success) and it worked! I can see MVC 3 in the installed Programs and I can see VS 2010 MVC 3 Templates!

Thanks for attention! And of course I do not know if anythnig changed between today and the other attempts.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:55 PM by Tom

What time do they expire? As I am UK time...

Saturday, March 19, 2011 9:49 AM by Martin

@Dave - you only watched the first video in the set, I take it.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:09 PM by KetanJ

I am a long time ASP.NET developer and have recently developed a new Product Review site www.unyty.com using ASP.NET MVC 3.0, NHibernate, Spring Framework.NET, Fluent Mappings and Facebook API.

For those how are thinking about jumping from classic ASP.NET to MVC, I would say go for it. MVC 3 makes it development relatively painless and much faster compared to .NET.

Thanks

K. J.

Saturday, May 7, 2011 7:32 AM by iziel

I follow your updates and free tutorials. This one was my favorite because I feel I am left behind on the video side of my self training, thanks.