December 8th Links: ASP.NET, ASP.NET AJAX, ASP.NET MVC, .NET, VS 2008

Here is the latest in my link-listing series.  Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials page for links to popular articles I've done myself in the past.

Several people have pinged me asking for the download location of the ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions Preview.  We were hoping to post it on the web Friday, but unfortunately found a late bug that we felt needed to be fixed.  The team is working this weekend to sign off on the new build.  We hope to be able to post it as soon as this is done - apologies for the delay.

ASP.NET

• Taking an ASP.NET Application Offline: Scott Mitchell has a good article on 4GuysFromRolla that discusses a few approaches you can use to temporarily take down ASP.NET applications for updates/maintenance.

ASP.NET AJAX

• Sys.Debug in ASP.NET AJAX Framework: Roman Nikitin has a nice post that describes how to use the Sys.Debug feature of ASP.NET AJAX to easily instrument, debug and trace your AJAX applications.

ASP.NET MVC

• TDD and Dependency Injection with ASP.NET MVC: Phil Haack from the ASP.NET team writes about how to use TDD (test driven development) with the new ASP.NET MVC Framework.  He uses StructureMap and RhinoMocks to enable the Dependency Injection and Mocking support.

.NET

• Hidden Gems in Visual Basic 2008: Amanda Silver from the VB team has an awesome post that discusses some of the new hidden gems with Visual Basic in VS 2008.  I actually learned a few of them for the first time reading her article!  Highly recommended reading.

• LINQ to Active Directory is Here: Bart De Smet from my team has been working on a cool LINQ to Active Directory provider (previously called LINQ to LDAP) in his spare time.  You can learn how to use it in his series here, as well as read about how he built it (and learn a lot about how to build LINQ providers).

Visual Studio

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Saturday, December 8, 2007 12:14 PM by ScottGu

Comments

# re: December 8th Links: ASP.NET, ASP.NET AJAX, ASP.NET MVC, .NET, VS 2008

Saturday, December 8, 2007 4:05 PM by Mike

Saturday, December 8, 2007 4:59 PM by John Chapman

Thanks for the link for using Solution Folders to group projects in large solutions.  This little trick will actually come in handy for us.  I'm surprised I didn't realize you could do that earlier, I've always just used Solution Folders to contain non-project related files (like 3rd party dlls)

Saturday, December 8, 2007 5:37 PM by Mike

Scott,

can you do a post on the new web.config in ASP.NET 3.5, because it's really scary. Ok, maybe not scary, but I'm afraid to remove or change anything, because I don't understand half of what in there anymore. Why didn't you patch the machine.config or update the runtime with a service pack?

Saturday, December 8, 2007 6:18 PM by zeeshan hirani

I am always waiting for your links series. Like many others i am curious to find what rss feeds you to subscribe and if possible you could share the feeds you subscribe to. It would give away some good resources to the community.

Thanks

Saturday, December 8, 2007 6:20 PM by mike.strobel

Hi Scott,

The e-mail address you posted doesn't seem to work--I received a failure message back immediately:

"PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 13): 550 5.1.1 User unknown".  Looking forward to digging down into the Framework :).

Cheers,

Mike

Saturday, December 8, 2007 6:26 PM by Michal Altair Valasek

E-mail address "fxrefsrc@microsoft.com" is not working for me, I got 550 5.1.1 User unknown from <mail5.microsoft.com> [205.248.106.30]. Is that general condition of just Microsoft does not like me? ;-)

Saturday, December 8, 2007 6:32 PM by ScottGu

Hi Mike, Enrico, and Michal,

Sorry for the issue with the email address - for some reason it is not allowing email outside Microsoft at the moment.

Can you instead send email to: sburke@microsoft.com (and include the phrase "reference source" in the subject line).  Shawn can then help you get setup.

Thanks,

Scott

Saturday, December 8, 2007 6:33 PM by ScottGu

Hi Roger,

>>>>>>>>> Will all five items (MVC, AJAX Improvements, Dynamic Data Support, Silverlight Support, Data Services (Astoria))

ship with this forthcoming drop?

Yes - this preview will include all of those features.

Thanks,

Scott

Saturday, December 8, 2007 6:34 PM by ScottGu

Hi Mike,

>>>>>> Aw man, I was really going to have a look at ASP.NET MVC this weekend, too bad. I'll do it next weekend. Thanks for the links!

Sorry about the delay.  We are hoping to have the bits live early Sunday - so keep an eye out for them then.  That way you have at least half of the weekend to play with them.

Thanks,

Scott

Saturday, December 8, 2007 7:22 PM by Brent Brown

Thanks for the update!  And for taking the time to get it right.

Saturday, December 8, 2007 7:52 PM by Kevin Daly

That's the disadvantage of me living in a timezone that's GMT+12 (and currently on DST)...Never mind, it'll give me something interesting to do on Monday morning.

Saturday, December 8, 2007 10:36 PM by Lance Fisher

It's actually a good thing that the MVC Framework didn't come out Friday.  I have a couple of papers to write for school this weekend, and I probably would have ignored them. :)

Sunday, December 9, 2007 6:06 AM by Reza

Tanks From Iran...

Sunday, December 9, 2007 6:22 AM by Mike

>>>>>>> We are hoping to have the bits live early Sunday - so keep an eye out for them then.  That way you have at least half of the weekend to play with them.

Nope, I live in Europe, so I think I'll just get Hello World running on Sunday evening ;-)

Sunday, December 9, 2007 4:57 PM by Alexey

Hi Scott,

what is version .Net sources available on source test server?

I'm try test this from Win2k8 with assembly WindowsBase.dll (3.0.6920.1106) and don't can getting pdb (and source). From win2k3 WindowsBase.dll (3.0.6920.1109) I download WindowsBase.pdb file, but not source.

Thanks

Sunday, December 9, 2007 11:25 PM by vikram

Monday, December 10, 2007 1:52 PM by Scott Mitchell

****************************************

****************************************

What a great idea. I think I'll write up an article on this topic.  Thanks

-- Scott (not Scott Guthrie <g>)

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:26 AM by ScottGu

Hi Vikram,

>>>>>>> Thanks for the links. One question. Can we have VS 2008 professionals and express edition on the same machine?

Yes - you can install both safely side by side on the same machine.

Thanks,

Scott

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 11:19 AM by ELH

Have downloaded the beta2 visual studio 2008 standard edition in which design view has a bug with nested master pages (throws error so you can't use design view) I downloaded the professional beta 2 and this error disappeared. I hope this will be fixed soon in the standard edition because this is the one I want to purchase copies of.

Friday, January 25, 2008 2:56 AM by Chris

any news on localized versions of VS2008?