ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions CTP Preview Released

Earlier today we released the first CTP preview of an "ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions" release that we've been working on (click here to read my previous post about our product roadmap).  This release brings additional runtime functionality to ASP.NET and .NET 3.5.  You can download it here (if you are using the MVC features also click here to download the MVC Toolkit extras).

This first ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions preview release includes:

• ASP.NET AJAX Improvements: New ASP.NET AJAX features in the ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions release include better browser history support (back/forward button integration, and server-side history management support), improved AJAX content linking support with permalinks, and additional JavaScript library improvements.
  • ASP.NET MVC: This model view controller (MVC) framework for ASP.NET provides a structured model that enables a clear separation of concerns within web applications, and makes it easier to unit test your code and support a TDD workflow. It also helps provide more control over the URLs you publish in your applications, and more control over the HTML that is emitted from them.
  • ASP.NET Dynamic Data Support: The ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions release delivers new features that enable faster creation of data driven web sites.  It provides a rich scaffolding framework, and will enable rapid data driven site development using both ASP.NET WebForms and ASP.NET MVC.
  • ASP.NET Silverlight Support: With the ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions release we'll deliver support for easily integrating Silverlight within your ASP.NET applications.  Included will be new controls that make it easy to integrate Silverlight video/media and interactive content within your sites.
  • ADO.NET Data Services: In parallel with the ASP.NET Extensions release we will also be releasing the ADO.NET Entity Framework.  This provides a modeling framework that enables developers to define a conceptual model of a database schema that closely aligns to a real world view of the information.  We will also be shipping a new set of data services (codename "Astoria") that make it easy to expose REST based API endpoints from within your ASP.NET applications.

We will be publishing many blog posts and videos discussing the new features in the weeks and months ahead.  Click here to check out an initial set of Quickstart Samples that cover some of the new preview features.

Below you can find links to a few tutorial posts I've done (and a cool screencast by Scott Hanselman and some great testing tutorials by Phil Haack) that cover the new ASP.NET MVC Framework option.  I'll be doing more posts on the non-MVC features in the extensions release in the weeks ahead as well:

To ask questions or get help, please visit these forums on http://forums.asp.net

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Sunday, December 9, 2007 8:55 PM by ScottGu
Filed under: , , ,

Comments

# re: ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions CTP Preview Released

Monday, December 10, 2007 12:05 AM by Behrouz Rad

thanks scott.

i love it :X

Monday, December 10, 2007 12:08 AM by ayu

yeah!MVC i'm waiting for u

Monday, December 10, 2007 12:16 AM by Scott Hanselman

Edward, I'm posting this very minute a 40 minute video showing how to make a sample project. We shall soon flood you with samples. ;)

Monday, December 10, 2007 12:18 AM by Mosol

Yeah! Thanks Scott ...

Monday, December 10, 2007 1:07 AM by Mike

Thanks, Mike!

Monday, December 10, 2007 1:22 AM by Fisher Ning

Great, I have installed it, and migrating my site from website to MVC.

Monday, December 10, 2007 1:58 AM by Adrian

Scott, what does "first CTP Preview" mean pre-pre-Alpha 2 ?

When can we expect the ASP.net Extention go rtm?

All the best !

Monday, December 10, 2007 2:08 AM by skyover

I have been waiting this for too long.

I can do something like Rails now within ASP.NET!

Monday, December 10, 2007 2:32 AM by panjkov

One hour too late for me... Luckily, I went to sleep, but today is new day...

Congratulations!

Monday, December 10, 2007 3:22 AM by Vimpyboy

Great!

Is this a replacement for the ASP.NET Futures?

Thanks,

Mikael Söderström

Monday, December 10, 2007 3:26 AM by Perry Birch

Scott & Scott and the rest of the team, thanks for all your efforts!  This is an exciting time to be a .Net developer and it's contributions like these that are setting the bar very high.

Monday, December 10, 2007 3:36 AM by azmat

for some reason during install (on vista32) I get a 'webdesigner.exe has stopped working' error.  The installer also notes (quite aptly) that "The installation is taking longer than expected"....Why is this happening?

thanks!

Monday, December 10, 2007 3:43 AM by Dave "The Ninja" Lawton

Bonzer!

Christmas has come early (even if a few days late :D)

Excellent work from you and your team Scott

David

Monday, December 10, 2007 4:39 AM by Paschal

Great stuff Scott thanks for that!

Monday, December 10, 2007 4:53 AM by Jirapong

Awesome, Do we need to uninstall "ASP.NET Futures July 2007" first?

Thanks

Monday, December 10, 2007 5:56 AM by Flykye

Can MVC Framework use in .Net 2.0??

Monday, December 10, 2007 6:05 AM by Israel Aece

Hello Scott,

People that already deep know the HTTP pipeline and Page life cycle will have benefits using the MVC pattern?

Thanks

Monday, December 10, 2007 6:29 AM by Ben

Hoorah! I've got plenty of time today to play with it thankfully :-)

Well done everyone that made this possible.

Monday, December 10, 2007 6:30 AM by Neil Bostrom

Top Banana! Thanks Scott (and of course your team!)

Monday, December 10, 2007 7:57 AM by Gill Cleeren

Great! Again something new to play with...

Can your team now perhaps take a vacation for, let's say, 1 year, so I can work my way through all this new material that has been coming out these last months? ;-)

Monday, December 10, 2007 8:01 AM by Ralph de Ruijter

Thanks for the great links Scott!

This will help a lot, gonna try it right away.

Monday, December 10, 2007 8:35 AM by toyash

Thanks scott. Great Work :)

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:21 AM by toyash

Scott,

I installed 3.5 Extension and looking for MVC Application Template but I couldn't find it. I have MVS 2005 and MVS 2008 Express installed but i couldn't find it in template also.

Can you please help me?

Thanks

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:40 AM by Vijay santhanam

Fantastic!

Where's PagedList<T>? I thought that was one of the best things you demo'd.

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:55 AM by Catto

Hey Now Scott,

Those Quick Start Samples look good.

Thx 4 the info,

Catto

Monday, December 10, 2007 10:42 AM by Cliff

Monday, December 10, 2007 11:17 AM by Long

Look like not possible to use MVC with VS2005.

Monday, December 10, 2007 12:26 PM by Ricardo Fiel

Installation fails.

I'm using VS2008 RTM, XP Pro SP2 running in Virtual PC 2007.

"Visual Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close"

This are the last 3 lines on the log file:

Process exited with code 1603

Status of package 'ADO.NET Entity Framework 1.0 (Pre-Release Version)' after install is 'InstallSucceeded'

Status of package 'ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions CTP' after install is 'InstallFailed'

Any help?

Thanks

Monday, December 10, 2007 12:48 PM by Vikram

wow to say the least

Monday, December 10, 2007 2:28 PM by Ion Todirel

how will ASP.NET 3.5 be deployed finally? like a SP?

Monday, December 10, 2007 4:25 PM by Jimmy

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:13 PM by Shailen Sukul

Great job to the ASP.Net team!

This release is a great step forward for all of us.

Monday, December 10, 2007 10:22 PM by Sambo

I looking for MVC for along time. Thank!!

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:20 AM by ScottGu

Hi Mike,

>>>>>>> I develop on vista buisness and I would like to use IIS7 instead of the webserver with visual studio is there some trick to getting the a mvc website to work with IIS7? I tired mapping all requests to the asp.net isapi module and that did not seem to do the trick. I can get the main page by touching the default.aspx file as that is mapped to home/index but nothing else.

Can you make sure you are running that application in "integrated pipeline mode" as opposed to the default (ASP.NET back compat)?  That should do the trick I believe (if not send me email - scottgu@microsoft.com).

Thanks,

Scott

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:21 AM by ScottGu

Hi Adrian,

>>>>>>>>> Scott, what does "first CTP Preview" mean pre-pre-Alpha 2 ? When can we expect the ASP.net Extention go rtm?

First CTP basically means it is the first time we've shipped the bits publically.  It is probably somewhere after an alpha, although not quite at a beta1 state.  Our hope is for the final RTM version the first half of next year.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:23 AM by ScottGu

Hi Vijay,

You can find a pagedlist<t> implementation that you can download here: blog.wekeroad.com/.../aspnet-mvc-pagedlistt

Hope this helps,

Scott

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:25 AM by ScottGu

Hi Cliff,

>>>>>>> If we download the 3.5 extensions, will we still be able to create 3.5 projects in Visual Studio without the CTP runtime functionality? If so, how would this be done (or should we just download to a VM/sandbox machine)?  Thanks!

Yes - no problem with creating standard 3.5 projects with the CTP installed.  The default project templates in VS 2008 will still use vanilla .NET 3.5  You'll own use the CTP bits if you create one using the new CTP specific project templates.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:53 AM by Balaji Ramesh

I have observed in the past that there were many upgradation issues especially when moving from CTP/BETA to RTM. It would be great to have a hassle free upgrade path from the CTP to the RTM of the framework.  That if you can ensure, will drive a lot more in the community to play around with the CTP.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:59 AM by Rob

Any plans on making it open source?

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:50 PM by AdamM

I'm disapointed there is no support for Vista 64 using ADO.Net Entity Framework Tools Dec 07 CTP.  Whats the point of having a 64 build of ADO.NET Entity Framework Beta 3 if the tools are unsupported?

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:43 PM by Fisher Ning

Hi Scott,

I have started to migrate my site to MVC.

I have two questions want to ask.

The code below copy from MVCToolkit.

<a href="<%= Url.Action("list") %>">Show all items</a>

There is no intellisence and tooltip for the code in <%=%> when set it to href attribute.

Another question.

As you mentioned. We can add ASP.NET control like literal control in view page, and set value for it in aspx.cs file.

I.e.

public partial class Index : ViewPage<HomeViewData>

{

public void Page_Load()

{

}

}

No intellisence for the literal control I added to the aspx file.

My VS is 2008 RTM with this new CTP preview.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:23 PM by Lasse

Looking forward to be playing around with the CTP :)

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:22 AM by ScottGu

Hi Ricardo,

>>>>>>> Installation fails. I'm using VS2008 RTM, XP Pro SP2 running in Virtual PC 2007.  "Visual Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close"

If you can send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) I can have someone on the team take a look and figure out what is wrong.

Thanks,

Scott

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:23 AM by ScottGu

Hi Ion,

>>>>>>> how will ASP.NET 3.5 be deployed finally? like a SP?

We are still finalizing how we'll ship the features in the ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions release.  I'll blog about the plan once it is closed.

Thanks,

Scott

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:24 AM by ScottGu

Hi Jimmy,

>>>>>>> I'm disappointed its not open sources. Is there any plans to have it open sources?

We will ship the source code to the MVC Framework.  We won't be taking back source contributions, though, to the core framework since it will ship as part of the .NET Framework.  There will, though, be a toolkit project on top that you can contribute code to.

Thanks,

Scott

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:26 AM by ScottGu

Hi Fisher,

>>>>>>> I have started to migrate my site to MVC.

>>>>>>> I have two questions want to ask.

>>>>>>> The code below copy from MVCToolkit.

>>>>>>> <a href="<%= Url.Action("list") %>">Show all items</a>

I'd recommend re-writing the code above to <%= Html.ActionLink("Show all Items", "List") %>  This is a little cleaner. You'll also get full intellisense for this.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:27 AM by ScottGu

Hi Fisher,

>>>> Regarding the issue with controls not getting intellisense in MVC code-behind pages:

There is an issue with the default file templates that you use to create view pages with the MVC project.  They unfortunately by default don't generate the .designer.cs/.vb files that are used by the code-behind to get intellisense for controls - which is why you are running into the issue you are seeing.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:30 AM by Fisher Ning

----------------------------

Hope this helps,

-----------------------------------

Hi Scott,

Reference the article about form post. the <form> element like this:

<form action="<%=Url.Action(new { Action="Update", ID=ViewData.Product.ProductID}) %>" method="post">

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:52 AM by ScottGu

Hi Travis,

>>>>>>>> I tried it at my site. The code in <%=%> here has no intellisence and tooltip. It seems I can’t get intellisence for the <%=%> part when it’s inside of the quotation mark. Do you mean all the HTML code needs to be re-written to Html helper format to get the intellisence support?

It looks like we have an issue with intellisense inside quote values right now.  I've forwarded this to the VS team to look at and get fixed.

Thanks,

Scott

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:40 AM by Colin

Can't wait to play around with this! Great work from you and your team!

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 7:05 AM by Steve

I'm having an issue where I don't get 'add new items' - the window is empty?

(Runnning Vista)

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:16 AM by handy01

Hi Scott

I would like to ask  your permission to republish all your blogs on my website called <a href='http://worldofasp.net'>Worldofasp.net</A>

Is that Ok with you?

And also, could you be so kind to add a link to my website (Worldofasp.net)

I just started this website and your support can help me a lot to grow this community

Thanks and have a good day Scott :)

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 11:38 AM by Will Shaver

Scott - Thanks for the comments, especially this one:

>> The good news is that this is easy to fix.  Just select your file in the solution explorer, right click, and choose the "Convert to Web Application" context menu option.  This will generate the .designer file for you.  From that point on, all changes you make to the .aspx file will be reflected in the code behind, and you'll be able to code directly against your literal control.

Note that without doing this you can't reference any of the controls in the .aspx file while in the code behind file. A MAJOR headache if trying to follow your first MVC tutorial where you go into the code behind file and assign the categoryList.DataSource. You might want to make a note on that tutorial for us until this gets fixed.

For others out there, this will fix the "does not exist in the current context" bug.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 11:39 AM by James

Hi Scott,

I've installed the pre-req's (VWD 2008 Express, .net 3.5 Framework, ADO.net Entity Framework 1.0 and the ASP .net extensions) however when creating a new website I don't seem to get the "ASP.NET MVC Web Application" template to in the new web site dialog box? Is there anything else that I need to do?

Thanks,

James

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:39 PM by Philippe Pedersen

Thanks!  Well, one things for sure.  I am like waaayyy!!! behind the times.  In fact, I was wondering about this yesterday, i.e., when I would next see the latest ASP.Net and here it is.  Time to get busy, isn't it?

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:08 PM by Peter

Hello, does this package work with WWD 2008 express edition?

Thursday, December 13, 2007 8:34 AM by Shaneo

Please pass alongmy thanks to the team for getting this out there. Sounds like they worked pretty hard to get this out over the weekend.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 9:30 AM by Ram

Scott -

Could you please let us know when the issue with intellisense inside quote values is going to be fixed?

Also,

How do we pass the viewdata to the master page?

Thursday, December 13, 2007 3:22 PM by michail

Can we expect this week source servers up and running?

Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:51 PM by Shawn Smith

Scott,

I am having a hard time passing a json object to the controller.  My parameter is nothing (VB) when I hit the controller action.

Are there any reasons JSON can't be passed?

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:59 AM by Johan

Nice nice, love this blog Scott.

All thou I have one question.

When will we see more effectivity in .net and the clr? Take the swedish OMX as an example, they atm need a system that can handle 100000 transaktions/second, for that they tried out .net but it was simply not effective enought. When will we see an improvement?

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 11:15 AM by Abhijeet Patel

Hi Scott,

Any chance of having the entire ASP.NET MVC series that you have done as a download able PDF?

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 5:29 PM by Miguel Madero

What's the status of this project? When would it be ready for prime time? I know this is only a CTP, but when could we have a release or a GoLive License?

Thursday, December 27, 2007 7:15 AM by ChrisS

Hi Scott,

Do you or does anyone else have a working example of web parts/web part zones working inside an update panel in both IE and Firefox? (i.e. drag/drop; browse/design mode without postbacks). I keep seeing the same thing about 3.5 and web parts "improved support for update panels". What EXACTLY does this mean?

Thank you.

Sunday, January 6, 2008 5:55 AM by Amr Elsehemy

Hello Scott,

Any Idea when is the final release for the MVC framework, as we will be working next days with an MVC framework so the range of the release date would be very helpful

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 5:13 PM by Alex

Hi Scott,

First of all, your blog is just great. Thanks for the good work in keeping all of us up to date on the latest. For the past 48 hours I've been searching for an answer to a problem I am having with webparts. It seems many people have experienced the same problem, however I have not found a complete answer to it.

Is there a way to run webparts inside an updatepanel AND at the same time make it work with Firefox? I can use .Net 2.0 and use webparts with updatepanels using my own Web.UI.WebParts class but webparts wont work with Firefox. Also I can use .NET 3.5 and webparts will work fine with updatepanels but will not work with Firefox.

In the other hand, I can use previews AJAX versions i.e. Microsoft.Web.Preview.dll and webparts will work fine in Firefox. However, updatepanels will not.

Conclusion; what do I need to do in order to have both things working together? I have tried using .NET 3.5 that uses System.Web.Extensions/Design dlls 3.6 which fixes the updatepanel problem and also tagmapping to Microsoft.Web.Preview.dll but that didn't work.

So far or I overcome the updatepanel problem or the firefox compatibility but not both :(.

Any feedback on this will be gladly appreciated.

Best regards,

Alex

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:31 AM by Daniel

Hi,

nice change... after creating the linq, that allows the user to access the database directly from UI, now you're fixing the job... :)

but what will prevent the user from doing just that, access the database from UI?

Saturday, February 2, 2008 8:18 PM by Ved

The default directory structure of an ASP.NET MVC Application has 3 top-level directories:

/Controllers

/Models

/Views

How can I change this arrangement and use my own directory structure in ASP.Net MVC framework?