VS 2010 and .NET 4 Series

[In addition to blogging, I have been using Twitter more recently to-do quick posts and share links.  You can follow me on Twitter at: http://www.twitter.com/scottgu (@scottgu is my twitter name)]

Over the next few months I’m going to be doing a series of posts that talk about some of the cool things coming with the VS 2010 and .NET 4 release.

VS 2010 and .NET 4 are the next major releases of our developer tools and framework.  Together they contain a ton of new functionality and improvements that I think you’ll really like, and which make building applications of all types easier, faster and better.  The improvements range from nice small tweaks to major, major enhancements - and can be found across the .NET Framework, the languages, and the IDE.

I will update this page with links to the individual posts I do as I publish them along the way:

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:31 PM by ScottGu

Comments

# re: VS 2010 and .NET 4 Series

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:42 AM by lynn

Looking forward to the posts.

Glad your back. Hope you can stay. :)

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:49 AM by J Allard

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:55 AM by ScottGu

@J Allard,

>>>>>> When you say .NET 4, you don't mean a new C# language - you are really talking about some changes to the frameworks, right?

.NET 4 and VS 2010 include new VB and C# compilers as well - which contain a bunch of language improvements.  For example, C# 4 includes things like the dynamic keyword (allowing easy late-bound access), named and optional parameters, covariance, better COM support, and more.  Here is a pointer to a video talking about some of them: channel9.msdn.com/.../Inside-C-40-dynamic-type-optional-parameters-more-COM-friendly

I'll be talking about some of the new language features in upcoming posts as well.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:30 AM by samcov

Scott, I haven't been able to get an answer to this question at Silverlight.net, so I'm giving you a try.

Will we see C# 4.0 in Silverlight, or will we have to code seperately against different versions on client and server?

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:41 AM by SoftMind

Thanks Scott

As usual i always wait for your blogs to appear. and that really keeps me surprised, amazed, happy and updated all the times.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:08 AM by Waqas

Thanks GOD! At Last you break the Silence. I was waiting for your talks about .NET 4 and Silverlight 4. BTW, What about Silverlight 4 are you planning?

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:51 AM by Lee Englestone

Bring it on!

-- Lee

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:28 AM by David Roh

Welcome back Scott - you have been missed.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:33 AM by Arni Gunnar Ragnarsson

Hi Scott.

We just got accepted into BizSpark and are contemplating upgrading our Visual SourceSafe 2005 to VS TFS 2008. I have installed the TFS server, but not created any projects yet.

Can you give me a rough time estimate on the VS 2010 release, I don't wan't to spend yours configuring TFS 2008 if I have to do it all over again for TFS 2010 shortly.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:45 AM by herzevekil

Thanks for posts, but Microsoft is very speed. I dont catch up:(

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:54 AM by Shem

Looking forward to it - sounds like there's going to be a lot of clearing up carried out. Can't wait to get my hands on VS2010 - multiple windows for multiple monitors = yay!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:19 AM by Mike

Great to see you blogging about this, Scott. I'll be reading each one!

Obviously, you can't give a concrete answer, but can you give us a general idea when Microsoft is hoping to release Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2? Are we talking weeks or months?

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:35 AM by tshao

Thanks Scott, we really look forward to it. I almost can't wait to see how dev10 will roll out in the real world :P

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:16 PM by Micah

You say Beta2 is a ways away. How far out are we talking. Is there an ETA?

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:21 PM by thedude

is .net 4 going to have any mobile enhancements? im a little concerned that microsoft has lost so much ground in mobile development. I've decided to move to .net but sometimes i feel microsoft is not ahead of the curve anymore. for example the MVC model for web is something that java had implemented long ago. as en ex-linux-java guy i hope people like me help microsoft to lead on many things by using their techs (if they stay in the open source) . thanks for the good work.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:48 PM by awake

I hope WPF does not make this thing slow

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:44 PM by HeartattacK

Great to see you posting again!!

Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:29 AM by Santosh Kumar

Hi Scott,

VS2010 IDE looks great.what kind of improvements can be expected for Sharepoint.

And is there any additional support for CAML language intellisence or like U2U caml editor like things in built in VS2010.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:46 AM by swim

thanks

Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:23 PM by JsonTerre

can't wait for VS4 to come out.

Saturday, August 29, 2009 3:25 AM by praveen.prasad

Scott it would be really grateful of yours if you post something on client side support

ms-ajaxlibrary, jquery, integration of both libraries(if this feature is possible),script referencing etc

Also i am expecting this time VS is having script folding in js files. (please comment on this too)

Saturday, August 29, 2009 4:38 AM by sdaemon

Can't wait for them, although I am also curious about .Net 5.0 (which most speakers seem to be quite secretive about)

Saturday, August 29, 2009 5:51 PM by TheRealMattSlay

You've got a typo in the 3rd paragrah... "Betat2"

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:24 AM by Mark Nongkhlaw

What would be the way forward in terms of ASP.NET data access-Dynamic Data? MVC? Some other? Sometimes its confusing with so many options for the same purpose within the same tool. Hope you'll light up the way to go in VS2010.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:41 PM by rekhamoturi

All the features that were discussed in this post are purely cosmetic or bugs from other version are fixed. What are the real changes. I remeber how GRIDVIEW changed how we display data. Anything significant like that??

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 7:52 PM by John

What about remote authoring improvements?

Visual Studio is about the worse thing on remote authoring I've ever seen!

I often get the "Unable to get file from server" error(both on FPE and FTP), the files that cause the previous error also cause errors when synchronising on "Copy Website", it hangs on opening XMLs, doing some operations like refactorings hangs the IDE as it starts to download everything to the webcache including image files, and other problems...

Resuming, VS is a complete mess for remote authoring. Even Frontpage is better on this field and Frontpage folks did it almost a decade ago!

Thursday, September 3, 2009 5:06 PM by Arkware

Will VS 2010 support WebDAV for publishing a web project to a remote server?

Friday, September 4, 2009 12:35 AM by Ferry Meidianto

Thanks Scott! can't wait the BETA 2 release.

Sunday, September 6, 2009 1:29 AM by Andrea Domenichini

Hi Scott,

will be availale .NET RIA Services in VS 2010 Beta 2?

Sunday, September 6, 2009 1:10 PM by erkasoft

clean web.config files are awesome.  Thank you Scott!

Sunday, September 6, 2009 2:47 PM by Abhijeet Kulkarni

Please Keep up the good work ! Its really helpful for us to hear stuff about .NET directly from you !!

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:45 AM by Martin

Hi Scott,

a very interesting serie. Thanks a lot!

Could you maybe also post something about the changes in the workflow engine of .NET 4.0?

I´ve read that it´s something like a complete reimplementation in .NET 4.0.

Monday, September 14, 2009 7:49 AM by Marcus

I wonder is there a plan for adopting the ribbon interface for VS? I'm actually quite fond of it and had hoped for Vista to already bring more of its application with the ribbon interface (although I see where it would indeed waste space on applications with less functionality but since VS has a similar complex menu structure as Office had ...).

Sunday, October 18, 2009 4:10 PM by Petar Minev

COOOOOOOOOL this is the thing i've been waiting for soo long  . net 4 rocks!!!

Monday, October 19, 2009 4:31 PM by WebGrid

Looking forward to test my webgrid and JQuery against VS10 and .Net 4.0!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:34 AM by Lee Englestone

I'm soooo excited!

-- Lee

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:57 AM by Lloyd George

Happy to see u back..waiting for your great tutorials..keep them comming

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:21 PM by Vikaw

I attended the VS Extensibility Summit this week at Redmond and got to see lot of cool stuff. Particularly in design time extensibility support for WPF/Silverlight Controls in VS 2010. Wondering what's in VS 2010 for ASP.Net server controls development, Can you please comment on this?

- Vikas

Friday, October 23, 2009 8:29 AM by John Sinnott

Please add a blog on refactoring improvements/changes.  Would love to see the ability to highlight a namespace and promote it to a using/Imports statement with a choice of using an alias.