VS 2010 / .NET 4 Release Candidate

[In addition to blogging, I am also now using Twitter for quick updates and to share links. Follow me at: twitter.com/scottgu]

This afternoon we made available the VS 2010 and .NET 4 release candidates.  You can find download links here.

Right now the downloads are available only to MSDN subscribers.  Starting Wednesday (Feb 10th) everyone will be able to download them (regardless of whether you are a MSDN subscriber or not).

Background on the Release Candidate

I blogged about us deciding to ship a public VS 2010 release candidate last December.  The primary motivation behind releasing a public RC was to ensure that we could get broad testing and feedback on the performance and stability work we’ve been doing since the last public VS 2010 Beta 2 release.

Over the last few months we’ve been releasing interim builds to a small set of folks who have been helping us validate fixes and measure very large projects and solutions.  The feedback from them has been extremely positive the last few weeks – which is why we are now opening up today’s build to a much wider set of people to people to try out.

The RC has only been out a few hours so far – but the feedback so far on Twitter has been nice to see:

• @DanWahlin: The performance improvements with Visual Studio 2010 RC compared to previous builds are huge. Really happy with what I'm seeing so far.
  • @peterbromberg: VS2010 RC: I must admit, I am impressed. Major speed and performance improvements. They are obvious immediately!
  • @Nick_Craver: RC performance is ridiculously faster, can't wait to switch over full time!
  • @Rlz2cool: Just tried VS2010 RC. One word incredible. Super fast, great build with things I saw in earlier releases fixed. So awesome.
  • @ddotterer: Trying out VS2010 RC: Snappier UI, much faster intellisense, significant build time reduction, etc. Overall: AWESOME JOB
  • @tomkirbygreen: Oh my goodness, VS2010 RC is much, much faster. Kudos to the VS perf team and everyone else. Uninstalling Visual Studio 2008 :-)
  • @JoshODBrown The developers on the Visual Studio 2010 RC must have had their usual beverages replaced with unicorn tears or something. #VS2010 #awesome
  • @jbristowe: Holy Butterball! VS 2010 RC is crazy fast. It makes me feel like this: http://bit.ly/cPaOvE

Reporting Issues

Our goal with releasing the public RC build today is to get a lot of eyes on the product helping to find and report the remaining bugs we need to fix.  If you do find an issue, please submit a bug report via the Visual Studio Connect site and also please send me an email directly (scottgu@microsoft.com) with details about it.  I can then route your email to someone to investigate and follow-up directly (which can help expedite the investigation).

If you do install and use the VS 2010 RC we’d also really appreciate if you would fill out this survey about your experiences.

Answers to a few questions and known issues

Here are a few answers to some questions/known issues:

• If you have previously installed VS 2010 Beta 2 on your computer you should use Add/Remove Programs (within Windows Control Panel) to remove VS 2010 Beta2 and .NET 4 Beta2 before installing the VS 2010 RC.  Note that VS 2010 RC can be installed on the same machine side-by-side with VS 2008 and VS 2005.
  • Silverlight 3 projects are supported with today’s VS 2010 RC build – however Silverlight 4 projects are not yet supported.  We will be adding VS 2010 RC support for SL4 with the next public Silverlight 4 drop. If you are doing active Silverlight 4 development today we recommend staying with the VS10 Beta 2 build for now.
  • We recently identified a crashing bug that can impact systems that have multi-touch and some screen-readers enabled.  We are working on a patch for people who are impacted by it.
  • We recently found an issue where project upgrades from VS 2008 can take a long time to complete if the project has .xsd files within them.  If you think VS is taking a long time on a project upgrade give it a few more minutes to complete before assuming it has hung – you might be running into this slow upgrade issue.  Note that once the project is upgraded the performance should return to normal. We are working to fix this with the final release.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Monday, February 8, 2010 11:39 PM by ScottGu

Comments

# re: VS 2010 / .NET 4 Release Candidate

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:49 AM by Rangoric

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:49 AM by shadowcodes

Scott,

Why don't you include spark users for these early releases too ?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:55 AM by ScottGu

@shadowcodes,

>>>>>>> Why don't you include spark users for these early releases too ?

BizSpark and WebsiteSpark members will be able to download VS 2010 from their MSDN accounts once it has shipped.  Everyone will have access to the beta/RC build (including them starting on Wednesday).

Hope this helps,

Scott

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:59 AM by Bashar Kokash

What's new in RC beside the greate performance, is there a link?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:00 AM by joycsharp

Scott,

Thanks for the update. Any rough idea when we're going to get the RTM/GA?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:05 AM by atarikg

Awesome ! I was waiting for that :) You guys rock....

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:08 AM by Paul Jackson

Thanks

-PJ

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:11 AM by Huthaifa Afanah

Great job! keep it up ... hope this will be the end of some pains :D

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:13 AM by ScottGu

@Paul,

>>>>>>> Is there going to be an x64 of the VS2010 RC? MSDN does not appear to have a download for x64 Thanks -PJ

VS 2010 itself is a x86 application - although .NET 4 supports x64.  If you install the VS 2010 RC build on there and the right things should happen in terms of a x64 build of .NET being installed.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:14 AM by ScottGu

@joycsharp,

>>>>>>> Thanks for the update. Any rough idea when we're going to get the RTM/GA?

Well partly that depends on the feedback on the RC ;-)  But our launch event is currently scheduled for April 12th.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:15 AM by ScottGu

@Rangoric,

>>>>>>> While SL3 is a go with this, is there a Go Live on RIA services in VS2010 for SL3 or is that just VS 2008 at the moment?

I believe that the go-live applies regardless of whichever version of VS that you use to build the app.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:19 AM by Koen Willemse

Hello Scott,

any idea when a new drop of silverlight 4 will be available? I'm currently working with the beta 2, but have hangs about 6 times a day. An upgrade to VS2010 RC would be great.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:25 AM by toncij

What version of MVC2 is included with this VS2010 RC?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:31 AM by kamii47

Congrat Scott for this milestone release.

Can you please give any idea when will be the next public Silverlight 4 release plan to come?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:37 AM by Mike

When does it expire and can we easily upgrade to the full edition then? Does it require activation of some sort?

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:41 AM by PM-Silvercrux

WOW! Finally I can install it without using Virtual PCs :). It's great avatar to VS 2008. Congrats to your team for this release.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:42 AM by Kevin Dockx

@Koen Willemse: to greatly reduce crashes with Visual Studio 2010 beta 2 when using Silverlight 4, you might want to try starting it up without the splash screen: devenv.exe /nosplash

This greatly improved stability with SL4 on my machine.  Should be able to get you through the waiting time for the next SL4 release. :)

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:43 AM by Sambo

This is a great news. Fast speed of Visual Studio will be increase my work.

Great jobs!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:48 AM by forest lee

Good job!

Congratulations!

But WHICH VERSION OF ASP.NET MVC WILL BE INCLUDED IN this version?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:51 AM by Aaron

Any rough eta on the silverlight 4 bits ?

# re: VS 2010 / .NET 4 Release Candidate

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:00 AM by Filip S.

Perfect news, looking forward to RC.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:00 AM by Mohammad Mahdi Ramezanpour

Hello Scott and thanks for your useful post.

I really like VS2010 beta 2 and I think the RC should be much better :D

Unfortunately, I'm not a MSDN Subscriber :( Is there any other way I can download VS2010 RC?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:14 AM by Roger Villela

The Giant of IDE's, has come!

Congratulations!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:17 AM by Jason

Is Windows Mobile development included in the RC?

If not, what is the plan?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:26 AM by Klooog

Does the RC finally ship with code-folding (outlining) for Javascript files? Still a dealbreaker for me...

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:31 AM by Nick Josevski

When will Visual Studio 2010 RC deactivation/disable itself, will it be the same time as the Beta 2? Is it April 12?

Thanks

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:49 AM by Mike Lockyer

Scott

It does seem to be available for MSDN AA members

is that intentional or accidentally

Academics need to view this ASAP to make decisions about teaching modules later in the year

Thanks

Mike

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:49 AM by Adam

Great work Scott!

Will there be an upgrade path from TFS 2010 Beta 2 to the RTM version? Or will I need to upgrade to the RC first and then to the RTM when it comes out?

Cheers

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:52 AM by Dominic Pettifer

Does Visual Studio 2010 RC have a time limit on it, how long can we use it for? As long as I can use it right upto the final official release I'll be happy.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:06 AM by Michael

Do you know when the aspnet_merge.exe tool for .net 4 will be made available?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:10 AM by purs

Are PDA/mobile application projects supported in this version?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:12 AM by Deep

Dear Scott,

How about MVC 2 (RC2) in this release??

Currently we are using MVC2 RC1 (with VS208) and now with release of RC2 last week and now VS RC2, we are in a fix whether we should just upgrade the MVC (on 2008) or better do the upgrade to VS2010.

Your advice pls.

regards,

Deep

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:28 AM by Stephen Dougherty

Scott,

Will any of the express editions have an RC release?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:42 AM by finnurhj

The big question for me is when we can use Silverlight 4 and RIA Services with this version of Visual Studio.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:11 AM by Demis Bellot

Hey congratz on the public release Scott.

Any idea when the final release will be?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:44 AM by Mohammed Shareef

Thanks Scott. Are the registrations for the launch events open now.Also, when does this RC expire.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:06 AM by Muaz

So fast. Thanks for performance .hope will be much better in final release.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:26 AM by james evans

Scott -

I am a Bizspark member - yet when I go to my downloads - VS2010 RC is marked as "unavailable".

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:56 AM by Robert

When will Silverlight 4 be supported in VS 2010 RC?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:09 AM by sarmaad

excellent job guys, i am a very happy camper. the speed improvements are astonishing and the responsiveness is great. can't wait to take it for a spin tomorrow.

Re:bizspark, I am a member and managed to download and install it from MSDN, no problems to report!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:18 AM by Stefan

Scott, so you say it is not possible to work with SL4 projects anymore when I upgrade? Auwch... I have to wait then... really bad!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:31 AM by Mohamed Omar

Congratulations,

I need to see a simple feature in this build which is : an instant search box in the Add Reference Dialog, to enable me filter the huge assemblies in the assemblies list

is this feature exists with this build ?

Thanks alot Scott

Appreciatting your work :)

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:36 AM by Aaron

Complete bummer that there's no SL4 support in this release, especially considering all of the hype and demo's built up around SL4 and WCF RIA.  Maybe you all can find it in your hearts to reconsider reprimanding us ;)

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:54 AM by Zack Jones

Downloading now -- only 2 hours to go :)

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:19 AM by colinbo

@toncij - MVC RC 1 bits are in the box, apparently the tooling changes are minimal and you can replace the assemblies with little impact according to the comment stream on Phil's blog.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:35 AM by ccatto

Hey Now Scott Gu,

This is good news!

Thx 4 the info,

Catto

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:37 AM by jamesjones

Would it be unwise to use VS2010 RC for production just yet?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:40 AM by feronovak

Is it good enough to start moving existing projects into .NET 4? I need URL routing fast :) Fero

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:43 AM by Joel Hess

Does this one include Windows Mobile support?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:45 AM by Chad Moran

Great job Scott and Co!

Thanks for the release, hopefully I can catch up again with you at MIX10. :)

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:51 AM by Tom

Scott,

When is Silverlight 4 RC and RTW expected? We are working on crucial projects using Silverlight and would like to know if SL4 is coming sooner than VS.NET 2010 RTW...

Thanks and Congratulations!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:00 AM by Ryan Morgan

When is the target for the SL4 drop?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:07 AM by LenardG

@feronovak: Why did you not use URL routing with .NET 3.5 SP1? It was available, and you could use it with either ASP.NET Web Forms or MVC. Granted, .NET 4 gives you some more abstractions on top of the routing API to make it more easy to use, especially from web forms, but I had no trouble using it with 3.5 SP1.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:20 AM by Steve Dunn

I've uninstalled VS2010 B2 and I'm seeing a '.NET Framework 4 Extended Beta 2' entry in my Add/Remove programs.  When I try to uninstall this, I get the error 'Removal Did Not Succeed' and '.NET Framework 4 Extended Beta 2 has not been removed from this computer because:" and "Generic Trust Failure."

I then try to uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Beta 2, but it says that I must first uninstall '.NET Framework 4 Extended Beta 2'.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:27 AM by Matthew

This is great news but terribly upsetting....We NEED the SL4 compatible version if we are to use it on our enterprise solutions.  Any word on when we can plan to have SL4 enabled version as we had been planning on it being in this RC.

Matthew

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:39 AM by David

Is there a plan to release an RC of the Express editions?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:44 AM by Soulhuntre

Since currently in VS2010 Ria services for SL3 are not supported, and the RC of VS201 does not support SL4 - that means effectively hat anyone doing RIA services work is barred from the VS2010 RC.

I know MS is moving fast here, but they are needlessly fracturing their development community.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:55 AM by rizzy

Hi Scott,

I'm thinking of using SQL to LINQ  tool in VS2008 for my next project.  However, there is one issue: if I make changes to tables or stored procedures, it doesn't auto-detect; neither is there a way for me to update it aside from deleting everything and dragging it back on, or using sqlmetal or something like that.  I had the same issue with my last project with VS2005 object dataset designer.  Is this going to be fixed in VS2010?  Are there any workarounds or tools for VS2008?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:55 AM by Rahul Ballal

Awesome job!!! I was wondering when it will be available on DreamSpark

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:58 AM by Chris Bardon

Crap...I should have checked here before uninstalling Beta2.  I was looking forward to trying out the performance upgrades, but no SL4 makes life difficult.  Hopefully the new Silverlight drop comes soon, and we don't have to wait until Mix for it.  It would have been nice if the release notes had explicitly stated that SL4 development was not supported in this release.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:01 AM by Eric Schoenholzer

Same for me. Need the SL4 build.

When I installed the RC build, the readme link wasn't working and your blog entry not up.

So I missed the fact that the current SL4 isn't compatible.

Now I'm stucked with my project.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:09 AM by Scott

I would really like to be able to use the RC but our team does development in SL4. When will we be able to download a SL4 capable version?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:20 AM by Florin

This is great news. Hope to check the bits as soon as possible.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:30 AM by bobq

Looking good after a few hours WPF and C++ but shame the lack of SL4 Beta wasn't headlined in the announcement.

Also on the version theme, Expression Blend. Is the Blend for SL4 and .Net/WPF 4 development to use alongside VS2010 going to be a service pack for Expression 3 or a whole new version 4?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:44 AM by Mike Strobel

Looking forward to trying it.  However, my first attempt failed--it seems the VS installer *does not* work properly if the ISO is mounted to a filesystem folder instead of a virtual drive with its own drive letter.  It'd be nice to see this fixed for the RTM if possible.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:49 AM by Ruslan Urban

We are currently developing an Enterprise app that is Silverlight 4 based. VS2010 B2 performance and instabilities are severely impacting development timeline. With 42 projects in main solution, every build is taking minutes, enough to go grab a coffee and come back. It even takes about a minute to just open or switch between xaml files that are not even that large. We understand that it is only in Beta, and tend not to complain too much.

We were looking forward to getting the RC. No support for Silverlight 4 is a MAJOR disappointment to us. Any idea when SL4 Tools are going to be released? How about Blend 4?

BTW, RIA Services have been received negatively by our developers. We think that the fact that the files are re-generated at EVERY BUILD was a poor decision. It also means that we cannot disable shared check-outs. Also, field metadata like [Required], [ReadOnly], etc. is implemented as property attributes. Typically, such information is not static and another mechanism should be considered. Limited support for data types (e.g. DataTimeOffset) is another disappointment.

Are RIA service project templates going to enable WIF (active) authentication? Maybe, is it too much to ask, though...

Otherwise, keep up the good work. We are extremely pleased with the workflow services!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 12:43 PM by Andy Walker

Any news on a Expression Blend 4 RC will be available?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:01 PM by Sergio

Installation fails with a message box saying there are some problem with CiceroUIWndFrame in setup.exe right after it finishes loading components. I had beta2 installed, though I uninstalled both net framework beta2 and vs2010 beta2 and rebooted before trying to install the RC. I also uninstalled pretty much everything that was installed with the beta2, except for the SQL Server 2008 components. I am stuck :(

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:09 PM by Sergey

Great news!! Congratulations!!!!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:23 PM by Steve Dunn

I think my previous comment about XP SP3 went missing somewhere - so here it is again.

B2 installed on an XP SP2 machine, but RC1 doesn't.  I understand there's a dependency on SP3 for .NET4.  Is there a way around this?  What this dependency here for B2?

It's a shame this dependency is here.  Some big corps are still using XP SP2 which would preclude them using VS2010.

Cheers,

Steve

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:47 PM by Simon

I think everyone should calm down about the SL4 support.  As Scott said "We will be adding VS 2010 RC support for SL4 with the next public Silverlight 4 drop".  What he didn't say was "There will not be an update for SL4 that works with this RC".  It is evident that they fully intend to release a SL4 update for the RC but as these are separate teams then it is not under the VS Teams control how and when the SL team release updates!  Sure, it would be great if there could have been a simultaneous release of both codebases but I'm sure the SL team are hard at work testing a build against the RC right now.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:58 PM by mcgurk

Anybody else getting tons of package load errors?  connect.microsoft.com/.../tons-of-package-did-not-load-correctly-errors

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:59 PM by tommyaquinas

Glad that it's faster. But what about bug fixes? Visual Studio crashes for my dev team about 20 times a day (per developer).

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:29 PM by Vimpyboy

Sergio,

Try to remove handwriting recognition from the input settings and you should be able to install VS 2010.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:29 PM by Will

@Simon - I think what people are concerned about is that the SL team is pushing for an SL4 final for MIX and are not very likely to ship anything else between now and then (more than a month away).  People doing SL4 dev on B2 have been absolutely desperate for this RC and this is a serious (and suprising) disappointment.

Of course, they may release a SL4 RC this afternoon and make fools of us all, but Tim Heuer's blog implies that there's not going to be anything between now and the final - he doesn't say that's MIX, but it seems a fair guess.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:31 PM by Vlad

When I try to install VS 2010 RC on my 64 bit Win 7 I got message (running setup.exe)

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

When I try to run the vs_setup.msi I got:

The installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

What do I need to do to make it run on my 64 bit Windows 7?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:48 PM by kakone

@Simon

"I think everyone should calm down about the SL4 support"

Some teams scheduled their work with the announce of the release candidate in

february. Sorry, but a release candidate without Silverlight 4 is a major

disappointment.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:21 PM by Guy Sperry

Feels like a vote of no confidence for Silverlight. We have made a significant investment in SL business apps. We were expecting improvements/fixes and a go-live license with the RC. Can we get a better explanation and some reassurance? Why no prior notice that SL4 would be excluded? Some of us (I) may get called to the mat for this.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:34 PM by Andrei Rinea

How much do we owe to Rico Mariani for this huge speed improvement?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:49 PM by Murat

Will there major changes about Entity Framework and Model designer on the release of .NET 4.0?

Also, as I know Visual Studio 2010 has x64 version, is that true?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:08 PM by Laureano Lopez

This is a great news.

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:28 PM by Gary

In what order should I uninstall the various components of Beta 2?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:33 PM by pita.o

Hi Scott:

I don't suppose that side-by-side deployment will work so well since I have associated my *.sln extension directly to devenv (instead of vs version picker). Don't blame me. I had to do this to resolve the issue that prevented *.sln files from opening on double-click (vista-inherited access control headache).

Anyway, do you think they will still work side-by-side?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:38 PM by Steve Gentile

No Silverlight 4.0 in a RC ???

Wierd.  Disapointed.

I would think part of a RC is to include everything the release will , and address only show stopper bugs.

Guess not.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:11 PM by aaronru

Hi @Anthony - typically this issue happens because an ISO became corrupted during when it was downloaded over the internet.  Please try redownloading the ISO, copy the setup to your local machine and try installing again.

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:14 PM by rrmacman

i can't even get the RC to install, uninstalled the beta 2 and .net 4 framework. Installed the .net framework 4 rc and tried to install the vs 2010 ultimate rc and it gets to where it shows the installation progress and the window disappears. nothing happens. i try again and same thing occurs.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:32 PM by Ibrahim

I am getting a crash every few minutes simply typing my code. it crashes in intellisense. i deleted beta files and now i am totally stuck

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:22 PM by Chris Rogers

Hi Scott,

Can you (or anyone else) say whether it is possible to use VS2010 to target .Net 4.0, and reference a class library which targets .Net 3.5?

For example, it would be good to know whether something like Subsonic (which the latest compatibility is for .Net 3.5) can still be used after the move to .Net 4?

Thanks,

Chris

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:58 PM by Rick Bartlett

Install fails for me as well. Tried mounting iso, tried burning to dvd. Nothing works disappointed after wasting an hour installing beta 2 :( I would advise waiting until installation problems are resolved.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:26 AM by kamii47

IF SL 4 release is expected to be relase any later then 2 weeks then this RC relase should be made available after atleast 10 odd days.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:49 AM by Rajeev

Great News!!! I have to try this out.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 3:18 AM by MEK

Same installation problem here.

Tried mounting iso, burning to DVD and redownloading.

When the installation progress window shows up it disappears again and nothing happens.

Have not had VS2010 beta installed on this computer, running WinXP SP3.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:44 AM by kakone

Now, I ask myself some questions... The final release of Silverlight 4 will not be shipped with the final release of Visual Studio 2010 ?

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:08 AM by geezery

I cannot download the RC4 from the Subscriber download section. I'm not a MSDN subscriber, but it says in the main post that it is made publicly available today Feb 10th.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:27 AM by DGO

And what about Smart Device development ? Is it finally in this version or not ?

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:18 AM by Phil Larby

Installation problems here too: Get to the installation progress screen and the installer vanishes.  Going to have to revert back to beta 2.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:22 AM by Sam Stange

Blazing fast. I'm very happy the VS team spent some time speeding up performance with VS 2010. I think VS 2010 opens up files faster than notepad.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:12 AM by Assankhan

I am unable to download VS 2010 RC on 10th FEB 2010. Please help me how to ? I tried using my live ID

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:41 AM by rtpHarry

cant find any download release links yet. I guess its still early morning over in America but I am excited to get my hands on the speed increases that everyone is talking about :)

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:31 AM by waqas

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, Release VS build for both public and MSDN Subscribers simultaneously. It is Very irritating.....

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:03 AM by Brian Byrdsong

Where's my RC!!! :)

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:05 AM by Cristi

Same problem in Romania - is Wednesday (Feb 10th, 5:00PM) I'm not able to download.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:18 AM by wlodin

Love the speed... Not crazy about the frequent crashes. Yes, I have multi-touch so perhaps it is the bug you mention. Let us know about that patch ASAP!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:26 AM by estump

I'm looking for public download links too. Maybe it's still a little early on the west coast.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:55 AM by Evil Dr

Surely us lucky people in England should get the links hours before you US people...!?! :-)

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:02 AM by MartinF

Wake up Scott ! :)

It have been the 10. February here in Denmark for about 17 hours now and i still cant find a download link !!!! :)

Cant wait!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:06 AM by rrmacman

hopefully they are fixing some installation issues before they release the link to the general. i can't get it to install without it crashing.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:07 AM by Giber

Is it wednesday Feb 10 yet??

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:08 PM by Rick Bartlett

Still couldn't get ultimate to install. Downloaded Professional, same problem. Googled and found some references to maybe DEP causing the problem. So, disabled DEP tried Ultimate again, failed again. Tried Professional and it's moving along now. Why would DEP prevent VS 2010 from installing?

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:14 PM by Jimbo

Installation problems here too. VS2010 ultimate RC

the file "dd_error_vs_vstscore_100.txt" has the following info

[02/10/10,17:05:38] vs70uimgr: [2] UI Thread exiting with error code: -2147172341.

[02/10/10,17:05:38] setup.exe: [0] StartUIManager(), RunScenario failure

[02/10/10,17:05:38] setup.exe: [2] CSetupManager::RunIntro() - Failed to Start the UI Manager

[02/10/10,17:05:41] setup.exe: [2] CSetupManager::RunLoadSetup() - Failed to Run the Intro

I've tried to restart the Windows installer service and also rebooting. Installing on Win XP SP3

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:15 PM by Vlad

In regards to my previous post about 64bit error:

RE: >> Tuesday, February 09, 2010 2:31 PM by Vlad

please ignore it. It was actually caused by me not having the complete download (my download was interrupted without me knowing that)

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:15 PM by clanaota

How much longer until we will be able to download? If you say it'll be available for download on the 10th, then you should make sure that it's available to download, or at least tell us that it's been delayed.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:18 PM by Jimbo

Tried to install VS2010 RC on winxp pro SP3. Setup tries to load the setup files then a dialogue pops up with "a problem has been encountered while loading the setup components. canceling setup"

dd_error_vs_vstscore_100.txt says

[02/10/10,17:05:38] setup.exe: [0] StartUIManager(), RunScenario failure

I've tried rebooting and restarting the Windows Installer service

any ideas?

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:29 PM by atmonline

Thanks for this release.

Please write something about EF 4. What features of EF 4 included in RC and what features will be included in VS2010 RTM. I cannot find those information anywhere.

Thanks,

Achu

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:48 PM by James

Tried to install VS2010 RC on winxp pro SP3 from an ISO burnt to DVD and also from HDD. Setup tries to load the setup files then a dialogue pops up with "a problem has been encountered while loading the setup components. canceling setup"

dd_error_vs_vstscore_100.txt says

[02/10/10,17:05:38] setup.exe: [0] StartUIManager(), RunScenario failure

I've tried rebooting and restarting the Windows Installer service

any ideas?

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:18 PM by DocMoD

When and where can the public RC be downloaded

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:21 PM by Stephen

Please, please can we have the public download link!!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:44 PM by James

dd_error_vs_vstscore_100.txt says

[02/10/10,17:05:38] setup.exe: [0] StartUIManager(), RunScenario failure

[02/10/10,17:05:41] setup.exe: [2] CSetupManager::RunLoadSetup() -Failed to Run the Intro

I've tried rebooting and restarting the Windows Installer service

any ideas?

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:08 PM by xsan

What about smart device support? Is it included in RC?

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 3:04 PM by Nick

Just a note to others so you don't run into this problem...

VS2010 has built in support for MVC2, whether this is MVC2 RC or MVC2 RC2 I'm not sure, but the tooling appears to be the same regardless.

If you have the "Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 2 - Visual Studio 2010 Tools" installed, remove it BEFORE you install VS2010 RC. If you don't, once you install VS2010 RC, if you ever remove that separate install install for the MVC 2 2010 tool support, it will remove the built in MVC 2 tools support from your VS2010 install and you'll have to repair it to get it back.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 3:07 PM by jessek

@Chris Rogers

<=======

=======>

With VS2010 you can target .NET 4 for your application or library and still reference a class library built with .NET 3.5. When executed the application will run on v4 and will load and run the 3.5 library in the same runtime and AppDomain as the rest of your application.

--Jesse

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 3:58 PM by Alex

The setup crashed after few steps (I agree..., c:\program files, full/custom) and cannot start again (Shows error message "another setup is already running"). XP SP3

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:28 PM by Dan

@Chris Rogers/jessek

The gotcha with this is if you use the SSRS report designer.  If your report is created or re-saved in VS2010, it creates a dependency on a .Net 4.0 versioned assembly (unless this was addressed in the RC).  This will force a dependency on .Net 4.0

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:36 PM by Zeke Lind

I have been unable to debug 3.5 code with VS 2010 and have not been able to find anything on how to rectify this on the web.  I do attach to process, choose the ASP.NET worker process, and everything seems to be fine except the symbols don't load and no breakpoints are actually hit.

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Jon

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:37 PM by Jon Shern

Yeah the installation is crashing for me also.

I run the install and soon as I hit next after selecting Full installation the installation just disappears.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:19 PM by Vas

Why did the participants of the "Metro" on VS2010 not have access to download the RC?.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:13 PM by Giber

Is there a Express Edition of VS2010RC?

Regards

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:15 PM by Carpet Steam Cleaner Dallas

How effective is the the application over the exist once?

Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:36 AM by aaronru

@gary

>>>>>>In what order should I uninstall the various components of Beta 2?

I've created a blog entry, which describes how to uninstall Beta2 and install RC.  Yes it is as easy as uninstall Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 and install Visual Studio 2010 RC.  http://bit.ly/bqBE6y

Thanks!

Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:40 AM by aaronru

Hi @rrmacman & @Rick Bartlett,

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty installing Visual Studio 2010 RC.  We want to assist you in getting it installed.

Please follow the guidance on my blog to collect and send me your logs, http://bit.ly/cvmPUp.

Thanks!

Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:28 AM by aaronru

@Sergio

>>>>>>>Installation fails with a message box saying there are some problem with CiceroUIWndFrame in setup.exe right after it finishes loading components.

Thanks!

Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:26 AM by aaronru

@Mike Gale The upgrade from RC to RTM will also require users to uninstall the RC and then install the RTM product.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:53 AM by Christian

will there be localized RC builds, as well?

# re: VS 2010 / .NET 4 Release Candidate

Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:39 AM by Ivica M.

Hi Scott,

“XML schema designer” looks really nice and useful when it comes to viewing XML schema file (XSD). However it is not much of a designer in my honest opinion. It looks like the only way to actually EDIT XML schema is to dive into the XML of it, using XML editor. I was hoping for a bit more on this front with VS2010?

Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:55 AM by David

Is it planned to provide a fully installed virtual machine image for a TFS2010 RC server  like for the beta 2 version ?

Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:47 AM by ElFrogo

I installed the RC this morning side by side with VS2008.

Afterwards I could not open VS2008 projects anymore.

This is the error-message:

---------------------------

Unable to read the project file 'MyProject.csproj'.

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Microsoft.WinFX.targets: The imported project file could not be loaded. Root element is missing.

---------------------------

I uninstalled the while RC. But the problems persists! This problem did not appear with the Beta2 and VS2008 side by side.

Please help, since I cannot work with VS2008 anymore!

Thanks

Thomas

Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:19 AM by Chris

I created a Windows 7 virtual machine and put this latest version of Visual Studio 10 on it.  Then I copied a medium sized project to this machine and am working on it to get a feel for this latest version. I do a lot of new projects this way using XP or Windows 7 + VS 2008 with no trouble.

What I am finding trying to do actual coding work with this version of Visual Studio is the overall response time is still frustratingly slow. It locks up for seconds at a time during the most simple and menial coding tasks. Arg.. a nightmare for any developer is slow development tools.

I don't know if it's a symptom of Windows 7 + VS10 or just VS10 itself.  I might try another virtual machine, but with XP + VS 10 instead.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:36 AM by Soul_Master

Awesome! Visual Studio 2010 RC just spends only 1 second for opening my solution that has 13 projects in it and take about 2-3 second for showing 28 recent documents.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:45 AM by igor

Did anybody try to uninstall  RC and install BETA 2 or Express BETA 2 again?

It fused into the OS so deeply it is almost impossible to remove this peace of engineering art.

After hour of dancing with installs and registry keys I was able to remove RC and installed BETA 2 again.

However, now installation of Silverlight 4 tools fail...

I guess I did not remove some secret magic registry key and I wonder if somebody else had the same issue and was able to find a solution...

Anyway, want's wrong with you guys?

Why can't I have my .NET framework and my IDE on a jump drive and just run it them from there without all that hassle business of installing/uninstalling/reinstalling/removing?

With Java, I can have multiple versions of JVM and multiplicity of IDEs and tools right on my jump drive or even CD.

Now when you have .NET framework and IDE build on .NET framework, why can't you do the same?

Another thing that drives me mad is VS projects. WHY do you need to convert 2008 projects to 2010 projects? What's so extremely different between them? "Product Version"? What happened with backward compatibility? Especially now, when you have "Multi-Targeting" in your IDE?

Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:00 PM by ScottNo

@ElFrogo

Sorry to hear that you've run into problems across Visual Studio versions - we do a lot of testing in this area, so we've very interested to hear more about your problem.

Can you find your WinFx targets file (<Windows>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Microsoft.WinFx.targets) and send it to me at scottno at microsoft dot com? I have some experts who would greatly like to see your corrupted file.

Thanks!

Scott Nonnenberg

Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:15 PM by Mak

I have the same problem of Vlad (Tuesday, February 09, 2010 2:31 PM by Vlad)but on Windows Server 2008 SP2.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:39 PM by Norsten

Well I've been really looking forward to this release  -its certainly faster and several bugs have since been ironed out. Unfortunately its crashes now and then when coding, -I get a feeling that its intellisense thats triggering it -buts whatever it is -it's definately IDE related!

Its quite easy to reproduce: create a generic method and change the type (within the < >) and change it a few times -eventually an error pops up with "Microsoft Visual Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close"  which then follows with another message "Microsoft Visual Studio has stopped working" most of the time it restarts but sometimes it give the option to debug -however, choosing to debug throws up yet another error "Unhandled exception at 0x7671b727 in devenv.exe: 0xE0434352: 0xe0434352."

Any thoughts? -is this a known issue?

Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:41 PM by Ishai

Scott,

What version of VS 2010 will be available to MSDN subscribers when it's released?

In the past it was the professional version but I saw the new premium version and was wondering which one we'll get and what support for team system it will include.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:43 PM by Brad

I just spent half a day uninstalling beta and installing RC.  My Beta 3 Silverlight 3 project will not open!!! ("The project type is not supported by this installation.") Nor do I get the option to create a new SL Application project (only Silverlight Unit Test App.)  Please help!

Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:47 PM by bkfichter

Ahhh...I just spent half a day uninstalling the beta and installing the rc. My SL3 project I created in beta will not open! ("The project type is not supported by this installation")  Nor can I create a new SL3 application.  Only a SL Unit Test App.  Please help!

Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:00 PM by bkfichter

Found the issue.  Silverlight is included under Visual Web Developer. I unselected this not realizing SL is included there.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:30 PM by rdagger

Trying to get our company to adopt SL4.  An ETA for the next drop would be appreciated.  Waiting with anticipation.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:43 PM by bkfichter

I was hoping this problem would be fixed but it hasn't.  I have to restart VS on average 10 times a day due to an Out of Memory exception.  Sometime every other time I build. I am on 32 bit xp with 3G ram.  VS can take up to 300M.

Friday, February 12, 2010 1:06 AM by Mike

Excellent work guys. Awesome performance improvements, also in the combination with Resharper.

Are the improvements only in the Visual Studio or were there also improvements in the .NET framework?

Friday, February 12, 2010 2:29 AM by habdulrauf

Great job if the performance of the VS2010 is good.

Friday, February 12, 2010 10:12 AM by Matt

Hi,

Regarding the installation crash, disabling DEP altogether seems to have done the trick for me. Adding an exception (as prompted by the Ultimate edition but not Pro) didn't work but it pointed me in the right direction.

Friday, February 12, 2010 11:20 AM by Keith Fischer

Will the vuser agents iso be available to BizSpark members when VS2010 Team ships under the MSDN accounts?

Friday, February 12, 2010 3:40 PM by mbiasetti

Mine installed fine but is crashing immediately on launch with a filenotfoundexception for presentationcore.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a known issue? Any workarounds?

I grabbed the file out of the .NET 4 folder and dropped in next to devenv.exe and a couple of other dll directories in the install area, but no luck...

Monday, February 15, 2010 3:04 AM by Jack

It is really a good news for us, as a developer, i don't know what i can do without visual studio!

Monday, February 15, 2010 3:30 AM by Shreedhar Kotekar

I was waiting for this. Love you guys, you guys rock!

Monday, February 15, 2010 6:26 AM by Lionel

Hi,

is there somewhere where i can get informations about .NET Compact Framework (or Windows Mobile) support in VS2010?

Thanks a lot

Monday, February 15, 2010 2:10 PM by hoetz

I'm really eager to see what you'll come up with in the mobile dev department, now that Windows Mobile 7 has been announced. Killing Compact Framework? What about PDA development...

Monday, February 15, 2010 4:37 PM by Bryan

Monday, February 15, 2010 4:51 PM by Lachlan K

To reproduce:

* Create a new method in VB.net

* Copy and paste this line up to 100 times within the method body :

Enumerable.Range(0, 100).Select(function(x) x * 2)

* Try scrolling the text editor and watch CPU use max out (while you wait).

I have been advised that this may or may not be partially fixed in the RTM. I feel strongly that this needs to be fixed... Are VB programmers being treated as second class citizens?

Thanks.

Monday, February 15, 2010 5:12 PM by ScottGu

@Bryan,

>>>>>>> i know people are raving about performance on twitter, but i have just installed the RC and am sorely disappointed in general text editing performance. it's beyond slow - almost unusable. literally half a second delay in pressing ctrl-v and the text getting pasted. when i type - i get so far ahead of the buffer that i have to wait when i'm done for the editor to catch up with me. i have a 2.1ghz core 2 duo with 4gb of ram running a fresh install of windows 7. i may have to go back to vs2008 and hope and pray the rtm is significantly improved.

Can you send me an email (scottgu@microsoft.com) so that we can investigate?  You shouldn't be having slow performance with that spec of machine - something must be wrong and we'd like to understand more about what it is.

Thanks,

Scott

Monday, February 15, 2010 10:35 PM by Jonathan

I have downloaded both the professional and ultimate versions hoping to find the new "Tablix" report control, but no go. What am I missing? Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks

Monday, February 15, 2010 11:00 PM by ScottGu

@Lachlan,

>>>>>>>> Hi Scott, I see that the performance bug in VB.Net whereby a method with many anonymous functions slows down the IDE still exists.

I just followed up with the VB team and they said they are working on this bug right now.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:14 AM by Andrew Rimmer

My machine is a Xeon E5504 with 4GB Ram.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:24 AM by HimaVejella

@Norsten I think its known issue that will be taken care in RTM himabinduvejella.blogspot.com/.../vs-2010-ultimate-rc-crashes.html

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:09 AM by allen

Spent about 5 minutes getting the windows the way I wanted.  I was dissapointed that you cant dock a window with code in it next to any other floating window that isn't a code window (properties, solution explorer, etc).

Also, after spending all that time getting the windows the way I wanted, I did a build and right clicked and went to properties on a .net 3.5 web project and it crashed.  After sending the bug report to microsoft, it restarted VS and completely wiped out my window layout.

WE NEED WINDOWS LAYOUT MANAGEMENT.  Everything you've polished with the windows form layout is useless if we're too frustrated and end up spending too much time rearranging windows constantly.

I want to be able to save the arrangement of windows because 1) I don't trust visual studio to do it, obviously it cant be trusted and 2) I want to be able to drastically switch my windows layout easily.

Its very sad that we have this awesome software but we have to resort to writing plugins to achieve basic functionality thats been around for years elsewhere.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:37 PM by ScottGu

@AndrewRimmer,

>>>>>>> I have the same problem as Bryan. It feels slower than Beta 2 in terms of text editing performance. It is like being on a dumb terminal with baud rate 300, typing and waiting for the letters to appear one at a time. This was when coding on a new Console project, with plugins Resharper 5 and Testdriven.net.  It could be Resharper 5 causing the problem but not had time to try it without yet. My machine is a Xeon E5504 with 4GB Ram.

There is definitely something weird going on.  Can you send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) so that we can kick off a thread and investigate?  You should ceretainly not have that type of performance experience with a machine that fast.  We'd really like to investigate more.

Thanks,

Scott

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:37 AM by Boas

Hi

you wrote >>We will be adding VS 2010 _RC_ support for SL4 with the next public Silverlight 4 drop. <<

Does this mean that Blend support for VS2010 RC WPF Projects will be aviable till full release of VS2010 ?

Many Thanks in Advance!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:59 PM by Aamir Hasan

Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:42 AM by Sean Hederman

Nope, it's not Resharper. I'm not running any add-ins, and it's so slow as to be almost unusable. Text editing is a nightmare, you're always WAAAYY ahead of the buffer. Opening and closing files is nowhere NEAR as fast as Notepad, in fact it takes up to 2.5 seconds to load a 44 line file, and 1.5 seconds to close same. Tabbing from one file to another takes about half a second. Opening Project Properties takes almost 17 seconds, Creating a .resx file another 20. Crazy screen artefacts on the resource editor too.

Slow across the board, just like Beta 2. It's better I'll grant you, snappier, more responsive and much more stable. But there's a long, long way to go just to equal VS2008 performance, let alone surpass it. My mail is firstname.surname@codingsanity.com.

Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:13 PM by Kaz Baygan

I am having the same problem as Sergio...

"Installation fails with a message box saying there are some problem with CiceroUIWndFrame in setup.exe right after it finishes loading components."

Friday, February 19, 2010 12:26 PM by rcury

Impossible using VS2010 RC with the follow big and serious bugs...

connect.microsoft.com/.../controls-in-createuserwizard-wizardstep-not-visible-as-before

connect.microsoft.com/.../issue-with-auto-generated-designer-files-not-addding-components

Sunday, February 21, 2010 4:54 AM by gekowa

VS2010 doesn't recoginze any .fon font...use truetype fonts only ?

Monday, February 22, 2010 2:35 PM by Matthew

The vs2010 RC does not like AppFabric, in fact when I installed it on a machine that had AppFabric installed it was BAD news.  I had to uninstall the rc, reinstall the beta, uninstall app fabric, uninstall the beta and reinstall the RC just to get the RC working.  Took me most of my weekend.

Anyways when will the next version of AppFabric that works with the RC be released?

Monday, February 22, 2010 11:20 PM by Nick

This is great, just great. My workstation is and cannot be updated to Service Pack 3 unless IT support do it themselves which is unlikely to happen since these systems are still running XP SP2 years after SP3 was released. I work in a big corporation (Telstra) and I'm effectively locked out of using Visual Studio 2010 and newer?

Nice move, Microsoft.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:23 PM by Allen

Wow, after using VS 2010 RC for a week and then going back to 2008, 2008 is insanely faster in every way except for the add references tweak.

Everything about VS 2010 seems slow, even on a Intel Pentium 4, 3.2 ghz dual core with 3gb ddr2 400!

Will we need to upgrade video cards now and get something above business grade?

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:32 PM by Josh

@George Mileka

The MFC90.DLL will still not resolve symbols fromthe  Microsoft Symbol Servers.

The file needed is :

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.vc90.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4418_none_4bf23ec0bfa015a5\mfc90.dll

>>>>>>We are in the process of uploading the symbols for the VC9.0 30729.4418 Visual C++ runtime to the Microsoft public symbols server. Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused. The symbols should be accessible from the symbols server within 24 hours.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:05 AM by Divyesh

What is candidate release?

What is the difference between the final release and candidate release?

Thursday, February 25, 2010 5:16 PM by Phil Steinberg

The Report Viewer is very slow going form page to Page on Internet Explorer.  For one of my reports it takes 8 seconds to switch pages in IE but only 3 seconds in Firefox  (This appears to be an 20% improvement over the Beta.)  I am currently assuming this is an issue because the report viewer is now using AJAX.

The same reports running in the 2008 Viewer switch pages in about 1 second.

Friday, February 26, 2010 12:31 PM by Rick Blyth

Great news, sounds like some great improvements in RC.

Saturday, February 27, 2010 11:47 AM by Mike

Hi Scott,  does VS2010 RC support deployment of WebSite Projects with the new deployment interface  or do we have to update to Web Application projects?  Are Web Deployment projects going away?

Thanks,

Thursday, March 4, 2010 1:52 AM by compacttreadmill

Great news! Thank you Scott.

Sunday, March 7, 2010 3:42 PM by Prakash

Hi Scott,

When working in the wpf designer, with the RC build, sometimes the machine bsod with a 0x0000000A error. Unfortunately this does not happen on a specific time interval, or a particular sequence on events other than working in the wpf designer.

Win7 32bit, 7300GT graphics card, P5N32 asus mother board, 4 gigs ram is my current setup

Monday, March 8, 2010 6:14 AM by Morten

Anyone know anything about why RC requires XP SP3 whereas Beta2 worked just fine on XP SP2?

And possibly how to get passed the SP3 check and install on SP2?  Upgrading to SP3 is not an option as it will cause a whole lot of trouble for other applications.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 2:03 PM by atmonline

Thanks for the RC. One issue I am facing while developing in VS2010 RC is It is nice to have close button in each pages tab, but there is no close all the tab feature. It's easy to close all tab at once, other wise I need to move mouse on each close (To find another close tab).

Thanks,

Ashraf.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 2:08 PM by atmonline

Why I am force to install XP SP3 while installing VS2010 RC?

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 2:59 PM by atmonline

Thanks for the RC. One productivity issue I am facing while developing in VS2010 RC is It is nice to have close button in each pages tab, but there is no close all the tab feature. It's easy to close all tab at once, other wise I need to move mouse on each close (To find another close tab).

Friday, March 19, 2010 10:36 AM by Kevin Dahl

How do I report a possible bug?

All I did was create a static library and added a resource file type to the project with one string and did a build. I get the following build error. Where can I go for help?

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30128\Microsoft.Common.targets(1835,9): error MSB4018: The "GenerateResource" task failed unexpectedly.

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30128\Microsoft.Common.targets(1835,9): error MSB4018: System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'FileTracker.dll': A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007045A)

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30128\Microsoft.Common.targets(1835,9): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.Shared.NativeMethodsShared.InprocTracking.StartTrackingContextWithRoot(String intermediateDirectory, String taskName, String rootMarker)

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30128\Microsoft.Common.targets(1835,9): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.Utilities.FileTracker.StartTrackingContextWithRoot(String intermediateDirectory, String taskName, String rootMarkerResponseFile)

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30128\Microsoft.Common.targets(1835,9): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.GenerateResource.Execute()

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30128\Microsoft.Common.targets(1835,9): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute()

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30128\Microsoft.Common.targets(1835,9): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.ExecuteInstantiatedTask(ITaskExecutionHost taskExecutionHost, TaskLoggingContext taskLoggingContext, TaskHost taskHost, ItemBucket bucket, TaskExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, Boolean& taskResult)

Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:07 AM by Jonas Wranå

I tried 2010 RC and beta 2 for a while, and liked the new features in the designer, such as editable gradients, etc. However after a longer use I got the conclusion it is som bugs still and takes up more resources than 2008 c#. When you scroll text for example the text is not following it "drags after" I dont know if intended or not.. very irritating. Also the antialiasing of png files dont work as well as 2008 (Maybe due to framework 4.0 though). The rasterization in resizing images are horrible comare to 2008, and dropshadow sometimes dont come up on bitmaps like in 2008. Also I get bluescreen (running XP) sometimes when I quit RC 2010 or beta 2 2010. So I am very happy with the more limited design functionality in C# 2008 and framework 3.5. Framerowk 4.0 and 2010 RC is not just mature yet for a serious and solid development of software.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:26 AM by Jonas Granlund

Hello!

All you guys that have problem with the CiceroUIWndFrame in VS 2010, it has to do  with the language settings.

Go to Controlpanel regional settings and the language tab, under advanced you can choose to inactivate special text features. if you mark this checkbox and restart everything will work again, I really had alot of problems with this.  :(

I hope to see you in Vegas next week  :)

//Jonas

Friday, April 2, 2010 1:19 AM by aaronru

@those having CiceroUIWndFrame issues.

This is a known issue, which we fixed for Visual Studio 2010 RTM.  There is a great MSDN Forum post, which describes the sanctioned work around at http://bit.ly/dfpjv6

Thanks for using Visual Studio 2010.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 12:46 AM by Ashvini Shahane

Hi, What is the support for Biztalk 2009 development using VS 2010?