Intellisense Crashing fix for VS 2010

We shipped the VS 2010 RC on Monday, and have seen some great feedback regarding performance and stability with it.

One issue, though, that we have seen a number of people run into is an intellisense crash that happens very frequently on machines that have UI Automation enabled and certain devices connected.

Crash Symptom

If you are encountering frequent VS 2010 crashes when you are typing in the editor while Intellisense is popping up and/or being dismissed then you are running into this issue.

Why does the crash happen?

The most common cause of the crash happening is that you are running a machine that:

• Is a Tablet PC (even if you aren’t using the pen)
  • Has multi-touch screen drivers enabled
  • Has an external input device like a pen or Wacom tablet
  • Has a screen-reader enabled

It turns out that a late fix right before the RC shipped modified a UI input code path that unfortunately exposed this bug.

A patch is coming to fix this issue

We are working on shipping a VS 2010 RC patch that we’ll release next week that will fix the issue and prevent it from occurring.  I’ll blog a pointer to the patch once it is available.

How to work around the issue now

There are two ways you can work around the issue now.  One is to disable your Tablet services (read this article for details on how to do this) and/or disable Multi-touch/Pen drivers on your system.  The other is to set a registry key.

You can read about both of these workaround in this VS Team Blog Post.

What if you still see crashes?

Please send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) if you are still seeing any crashes after trying out these steps (or encounter crashes for non-Intellisense scenarios) – we’d like to make sure we investigate and follow-up any others you encounter.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:41 PM by ScottGu
Filed under: , ,

Comments

# re: Intellisense Crashing fix for VS 2010

Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:16 PM by rrmacman

any word on the problem of the installer crashing ?

Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:48 PM by Tarik Guney

I haven't seen it yet but it is great to hear a hotfix is coming soon.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:28 PM by noisebim

nice info, and thanks for shearing nice info,

www.articlesbase.com/.../dogpedic-review-get-free-trial-now-1839388.html

Friday, February 12, 2010 12:17 AM by Asif Ghanchi

Hi, I am asp.net programmer working in india from last l year.

I really want to work with scott team to be part of the devlopment of .net.

My email id is ghanchi_asif@yahoo.com

Friday, February 12, 2010 2:17 AM by Al Pascual

This is a huge bug for an RC, expected on an Beta yet an RC in my modest opinion!

Friday, February 12, 2010 3:20 AM by PSG

Thanks Scott, appreciating the high visibility 'Hey guys you should know about this' approach.

Friday, February 12, 2010 3:36 AM by kenntrix

i still haven't experience this but nice to know this.

Friday, February 12, 2010 3:51 AM by mehfuzh

I installed VS 2010 in a HP touchsmart table pc windows 7, unlike VS 2008 the touch gestures are not working in VS 2010. By touch gesture i mean, i want to scroll up/down in code window. Does it mean that the code window does to subscribe to the OS touch capabilities ?

Regards,

Mehfuz

Friday, February 12, 2010 4:34 AM by Alex White

Hi Scott,

Could you move your announcement about being on twitter to line 2? As it is the blog front page announces for every single post that "[In addition to blogging, I am also now using Twitter for quick updates and to share links. Follow me at: twitter.com/scottgu]".

It would be much more helpful to see the whole first line of the actual post!

Thanks

Friday, February 12, 2010 10:27 AM by Consulting Mechanic

I experience the issue everyday quite frequently on a non tablet laptop. It throws the same error as the users with touch and failing in XAMLParser.

Friday, February 12, 2010 10:48 AM by JC

Glad to see there's a patch coming for this, ran into this bug immediately and it was frustrating.  Thankfully your PMs were very quick to point me to the workaround.

Friday, February 12, 2010 12:17 PM by grettir

Thank you Scott for that update.

Do you think free Express edition of VS 2010 is gonna be available at some point of time?

Saturday, February 13, 2010 5:54 AM by Olivia Spensor

Cool This is useful information on crashing.It will be really helpful that you know the Crash Symptom and become ready to handle it.

Saturday, February 13, 2010 7:33 AM by Hannes Preishuber

same for me on my tablet pc. waiting for the patch

another issue on that machine is  that every time i open Outlook 2007 installer cames up for VS 2010

Saturday, February 13, 2010 7:58 AM by Hannes Preishuber

same for me on my tablet pc. waiting for the patch

Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:50 PM by azamsharp

What about intellisense not working at all when using a custom theme. I have the bug in the following link:

azamsharp.com/.../279_Visual_Studio_2010_RC_BUG_Custom_Theme_Kills_Intellisense.aspx

Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:55 PM by azamsharp

Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:20 PM by Natural Cause

Weeeee I don't get it bug because I'm using resharper :)

Monday, February 15, 2010 8:30 AM by sandit27

Cooolll... :)

Monday, February 15, 2010 2:24 PM by Cory Cissell

I'm using Windows Server 2003 SP 2 with VS 2010 RC.

I'm experience the crash too but none of the "Why does the crash happen" scenarios applies to my machine.

Monday, February 15, 2010 5:11 PM by Jonathan Winata

I am crashing whenever I am in tangible T4 editor.  After I disabled this editor, VS 2010 RC stops crashing.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:28 PM by tfischer_tangible

@Jonathan Winata: Regarding the T4 Issue you reported I'd love to investigate that further and resolve it. Can you please contact me at tfischer @ tangible.de so we can fix this. Your help is much appreciated!

Sunday, February 21, 2010 1:02 PM by Mac

I have around 30 parameters for a method in C# class. When i call the method i can see only few parameters in intellisense vertical block.

I have screenshot but cannot upload it.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:08 PM by senthilvv28

Installed the patch, now every time I try to add a variable VS.NET 2008 hangs for a minute and then resumes again. Is this known issue,let me know if you need more info on the same.

Thursday, March 4, 2010 7:11 AM by Deepak

I have screenshot but cannot upload it.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:33 AM by Nabeel Herzalla

I download the patch, but still have crashing problem when for example I add class to C# project and try to add it's namespace from the class name it is crashing