March 6th Links: ASP.NET, ASP.NET MVC, jQuery, EF, .NET

Here is the latest in my link-listing series.  Also check out my Best of 2010 Summary for links to 100+ other posts I’ve done in the last year.

[I am also now using Twitter for quick updates and to share links. Follow me at: twitter.com/scottgu]

ASP.NET

ASP.NET MVC

• Data Annotations Extensions: Nice post from Scott Kirkland that discusses a very cool NuGet package that provides a bunch of additional DataAnnotations that you can take advantage of.

• SessionLess Controllers in ASP.NET MVC 3: Good post from David Hayden that talks about the new [SessionState] attribute in ASP.NET MVC 3 and how you can use it to indicate session behavior on Controller classes.

• Templated Razor Delegates: Phil Haack has a nice post that discuses how to take advantage of Razor’s Templated Delegate support.  This enables you to build some pretty cool templated HTML helpers.

ASP.NET and jQuery

• jQuery 1.5 Visual Cheat Sheet: A free PDF that you can download and print which provides an easy way to lookup and remember jQuery APIs and commands.

Entity Framework

• EF 4.1 Release is Coming: The ADO.NET Team blogs about the release plans for EF 4.1 – which includes the new “code first” support that I’ve done several blog posts about.  Final release coming soon!

• Oracle Support for Entity Framework 4: Blog post from Oracle that announces the beta of their official EF provider – which allows you to use EF and EF Code First against Oracle database.

.NET

• C#/.NET Little Wonders: James Michael Hare has a nice post that links to a number of great C#/.NET articles he has written that shows off cool tips and tricks.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Sunday, March 6, 2011 8:53 PM by ScottGu

Comments

# re: March 6th Links: ASP.NET, ASP.NET MVC, jQuery, EF, .NET

Monday, March 7, 2011 12:06 AM by Michael Washington

No Silverlight links?

Monday, March 7, 2011 2:37 AM by Daniel

Monday, March 7, 2011 2:53 AM by Kevin

Thank you Scott. Your links are always helpful.

Best regards

Kevin

Monday, March 7, 2011 3:47 AM by Sławek

Hi Scott,

Monday, March 7, 2011 5:01 AM by mailfolorunso

EF Oracle provider !! This is fantastic ! Thanks Scott for this Links...

Monday, March 7, 2011 7:50 AM by mihir786

Cool...Thank you

Monday, March 7, 2011 11:37 AM by Craig

Yay! New Entity Framework, now if they would just add spatial data type support (with querying).  *sigh*

Monday, March 7, 2011 11:42 AM by akachai kaning

Thanks for this post, especially on how to define the default content for razor layout, it looks nicer than the razor default one.

Monday, March 7, 2011 3:25 PM by Robert

And still no direct stored procedure support for EF.  All the Enterprise dev shops I've worked in shudder at the thought of direct table access to the database

Monday, March 7, 2011 4:48 PM by Andy V

Ick, Ick, Ick.. No Compiled Support for EF SQL Calls..   boo!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 3:01 AM by Danny

Hi Scott,its nice to see so many useful links. Thanks a lot! When are you planning the next release of .Net framework? I am eager to know about it!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:59 AM by Rosko

Sad to see that Silverlight is no longer even on the list... :( - I probably should buy an iPad 2 and start coding for iOS...

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 11:02 AM by solangul.com

Aspx To JQuery. Entegre. :S error . Help me .?

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 12:32 PM by Adauto

Hey Scott, how are you?

Man, i have to tell you, I don't know in english but to a brazilian guy the title from that site you reference some links from "4 Guys From Rolla" it's really dirty... hahaha

It's not your problem I know, but i thought you should know it

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:13 PM by Rahul Gandhi

Sir, I am trying to step into Microsoft Source Code and looks like its broken since last 2-3 months. I would kindly request you to fix problem ASAP.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:53 PM by icecold_2

Warning: Installing VS 2010 SP1 will cause you to loose Intellisense in SSMS 2008 R2 to SQL 2008 R2 databases (and probably R1 databases as well). Note: This loss is with Intellisense in SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio 2008) not VS 2010.

This happens on 4 of our developers work stations.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:32 AM by Daniel

I'm also losing Intellisense in SSMS 2008 R2. Repairing of SQL tools doesn't help for me.

This happens on 2 different developers machines.

Friday, March 11, 2011 9:12 AM by stmarti

Friday, March 11, 2011 10:44 AM by ScottGu

@Michael, @Rosko

>>>>> No Silverlight links?

I usually try and have about 10-15 links total, and the categories depend a little on the types of links I have saved up.  This week's was an ASP.NET and EF heavy one - I'll have a different collection next time.

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, March 11, 2011 10:47 AM by ScottGu

@Daniel,

>>>>>> Great stuff! Scott, are there any plans of doing globalization/localization with dataannotations by setting only one attribute at the class level? (instead of having to specify for each property)

That is a good suggestion - I'll forward it along to the team to look at.

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, March 11, 2011 10:56 AM by ScottGu

@Slawek,

>>>>>> I have one issue with data annotations and jQuery validation. When I pass email with my name - sławek@fabrikam.com - it passes validation in browser but, during creating MailAddress object I have FormatException. Could you fix this bug (in MailAddress or in jQuery).

Hmm - that should work. Send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) with details of the problem and I can follow up.

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, March 11, 2011 10:56 AM by ScottGu

@Danny,

>>>>>>> Thanks a lot! When are you planning the next release of .Net framework? I am eager to know about it!

We are working on it :-)  No details to share just yet about timing, but it will have some cool new improvements.

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, March 11, 2011 10:58 AM by ScottGu

@Jeff,

>>>>> Can the MongoDB provider be plugged into this library?

To be honest I haven't written code in depth with those two libraries - but I suspect it is very doable to integrate the two.

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, March 11, 2011 10:59 AM by ScottGu

@stmarti

>>>>> I loosed intellisens for javascript after vs 2010 sp1 install. No more intellisense for external js files (no jquery instellisense etc.) :(

Can you send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) with details about this?  I can then follow-up to investigate.

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, March 11, 2011 11:06 PM by ScottGu

@Fredrick,

>>>>> I read your previous posts comparing web forms and mvc and decided to stick to web forms but now I see this... Can't we get a single unanimous answer from Microsoft to a simple question? What is the future of web forms?(If at all Web forms have a future!)

I and my team have been very unanimous regarding Web Forms - it most definitely has a future and is something we are investing in.  We have a lot of great features coming to it in the next release.  We'll be disclosing more of these later this year.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:39 AM by Robert

Hi Scott,

same as Fredrick I've read many comparison / decision blogs between MVC and Webforms. I'm heavily biased to using MVC (been there from the first beta), however my new employer uses Webforms. Many times 'data-heavy' or 'data-centric' applications are said to benefit more from Webforms. Can you say WHY this is?

Also, when starting from scratch and when NOT using 3d party controls/libraries, can you say that there is a definite better choice, MVC or Webforms?

Sunday, March 20, 2011 11:24 PM by Henry

Thanks for keeping up these summary link pages Scott, they are great for Monday morning lunch reading.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:50 PM by Nessee