Links to my “Best of 2010” Posts

I hope everyone is having a Happy New Years!

2010 has been a busy blogging year for me (this is the 100th blog post I’ve done in 2010).  Several people this week suggested I put together a summary post listing/organizing my favorite posts from the year.

Below is a quick listing of some of my favorite posts organized by topic area:

VS 2010 and .NET 4

Below is a series of posts I wrote (some in late 2009) about the VS 2010 and .NET 4 (including ASP.NET 4 and WPF 4) release we shipped in April:

Visual Studio

Below are some additional Visual Studio posts I’ve done (not in the first series above) that I thought were nice:

Silverlight

We shipped Silverlight 4 in April, and announced Silverlight 5 the beginning of December:

Silverlight for Windows Phone 7

We shipped Windows Phone 7 this fall and shipped free Visual Studio development tools with great Silverlight and XNA support in September:

ASP.NET MVC

We shipped ASP.NET MVC 2 in March, and started previewing ASP.NET MVC 3 this summer.  ASP.NET MVC 3 will RTM in less than 2 weeks from today:

IIS and Web Server Stack

The IIS and Web Stack teams have made a bunch of great improvements to the core web server this year:

EF Code First

EF Code First is a really nice new data option that enables a very clean code-oriented data workflow:

jQuery and AJAX Contributions

My team began making some significant source code contributions to the jQuery project this year:

Patches and Hot Fixes

Some useful fixes you can download prior to VS 2010 SP1:

Videos of My Talks

Some recordings of technical talks I’ve done this year:

Other

I’d like to say a big thank you to everyone who follows my blog – I really appreciate you reading it (the comments you post help encourage me to write it).

See you in the New Year!

Scott

P.S. In addition to blogging, I am also now using Twitter for quick updates and to share links. Follow me at: twitter.com/scottgu

Published Friday, December 31, 2010 10:01 PM by ScottGu

Comments

# re: Links to my “Best of 2010” Posts

Saturday, January 1, 2011 2:21 AM by Erx

Scott, I just wanted to say WE LOVE YOU MAN :) all the best for 2011 :)

Saturday, January 1, 2011 3:52 AM by Anon

Hello Scott,

Will be any further improvements or we have to switch to MVC framework?

Thanks!

Saturday, January 1, 2011 4:04 AM by Roland

All the best for 2011.

It is amazing how much you have blogged. 100 blog entries whose many are detailed, step by step tutorials. Well done ;)

Saturday, January 1, 2011 4:20 AM by Josh Smeaton

Happy new year Scott - best of luck for '11

Saturday, January 1, 2011 4:52 AM by Quang Vo

Your blog is one of my favorite URLs. Happy new year!

Saturday, January 1, 2011 5:20 AM by Tom Pester

Seeing all this posts one 1 page makes me realize again how lucky we are that you are heading all these technologies that we are using daily. Looking forward to the 2011 releases :)

Saturday, January 1, 2011 5:35 AM by José P. Cortés

Scott, I hope you too have a Happy New Years!

"Saludos" from Costa Rica

Saturday, January 1, 2011 9:05 AM by Webdiyer

Thank you very much! I learned a lot from your blogs, always great!!

Saturday, January 1, 2011 9:21 AM by wisecarver

Hey Scott, it's 2011, how about dropping a "Share this" bar on your posts? ;-)

Saturday, January 1, 2011 12:24 PM by DalSoft

Happy new year Scott thanks for sharing all your MVC posts in 2010.

Saturday, January 1, 2011 1:00 PM by hajan

Excellent! You've done great job Mr. Scott! Thank you for keeping us in touch with the latest MS technologies all the time... Wish you all the best in the new 2011 year and I hope you and Microsoft will have another successful year ahead!

Saturday, January 1, 2011 3:15 PM by ScottGu

@anon,

>>>>>>>> Is APS.NET Web forms dead? (apparently asp.net ajax project at codeplex is dead based on the announcements of its team @pdc) Will be any further improvements or we have to switch to MVC framework?

Web Forms is most certainly not dead!  In fact, if you look at my posts above you'll find that my posts on ASP.NET were split pretty evenly between Web Forms and MVC (the Web Forms posts are in the VS 2010 and .NET 4 section).

We'll start talking about the next release of Web Forms later this year.  There are some nice new features coming with it.

re: JavaScript - we are encouraging people to use jQuery for client-side code now, and are contributing code to the jQuery project.  Note that jQuery works with both Web Forms and MVC.  ASP.NET AJAX's client-side library is still fully supported and also works fine.  ASP.NET AJAX's server-side controls (like UpdatePanel) are also fully supported and continue to receive improvements (including CDN integration support with ASP.NET 4).

Hope this helps,

Scott

Hope this helps,

Scott

Saturday, January 1, 2011 3:16 PM by ScottGu

@Josh,

>>>>>>> Interesting to note that close enough to 50% (I didn't count) of your blog posts, you consider to be favorites. To be fair, most of your posts are incredibly useful and deserve their place in your list.

Haha - true. ;-)  The list above is basically all of my tutorial posts - I filtered out things like my link-listing posts and/or ones without a lot of content.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Saturday, January 1, 2011 3:18 PM by ScottGu

@wisecarver,

>>>>> Hey Scott, it's 2011, how about dropping a "Share this" bar on your posts? ;-)

Good suggestion!  I'm probably going to re-skin my site shortly and will see if we can work that in.

Thanks,

Scott

Sunday, January 2, 2011 7:49 AM by Mike G

Thanks for the posts through 2010 by the way - always inspired.

Sunday, January 2, 2011 10:45 PM by pxeric

Happy new year!

I very like to see your post.

But my English is very bad,sad

Monday, January 3, 2011 4:35 AM by Pminev

Hi Scott Heppy New year i hope thi syeare to be more busy and we to have mor fun with coding!

Monday, January 3, 2011 5:15 AM by pmartinez

I've discovered ASP.NET MVC this year and I'm greatly surprised by it's power and simplicity. Also your blog is being a constant source of knowledge and inspiration to improve company's development.

Keep on with the good work. Best wishes for 2011.

Monday, January 3, 2011 1:12 PM by Alberto

Hi Scott,

Monday, January 3, 2011 2:51 PM by Jag

Thank you very much! I don't know how much I liked and learned from your blogs. Great blog.

thanks

Jag

Monday, January 3, 2011 6:44 PM by Khuzema

Just one question, how to write a grid with all rows editable with ASP.Net MVC 3 and Razor. Please.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:04 AM by Marcel Popescu

Scott, you rule :) Thanks for all your posts.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 1:18 PM by James604

Hey Scott,

Thanks for archiving the posts.. All the best in 2011

-JJ

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 2:00 AM by Ashish

Hey, thanks for such a nice work...

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 2:18 AM by Thanigainathan.S

Awsome !

He shows us whats community participation. I wonder how he is able to do this.

I need such power to write such articles.

Thanks,

Thani

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 2:29 AM by ScottGu

@Mike G,

>>>>>>> Silly question? I was prompted by this post to try and install the Phone 7 express dev kit onto my Vista machine. However my machine is at service pack 1 and it needs service pack 2 to install. But - the service pack came out in May 2009 and Windows update shows my machine to be up to date and fully patched. Can I risk running a service pack that is now 19 months behind?

You can definitely still install the service pack.  I generally recommend staying up to date with Service Packs - as they typically contain a roll up of fixes and performance optimizations.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 2:29 AM by ScottGu

@pmartinez,

>>>>>>> PD: I've found some funny issues with validation across different applications that could be some type of bug. Could you please point me where should I report or discuss them? Thank you.

If you can report them on the MVC forum at http://forums.asp.net that would be ideal.

Thanks!

Scott

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 2:30 AM by ScottGu

@Alberto,

>>>>>>> No way to fix the critical silverlight 4 memori leak bugs? It was june 2010 when the first post appeared on the silverlight.net forum, warnings all developers about this big problem... And today there is stil no resolution..

We have a Silverlight 4 update coming out shortly that will fix the remaining memory leak issues having to do with Datatemplates.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 2:34 AM by ScottGu

@Graham,

>>>>>>>> Thanks for the great year of knowledge. One thing I've been wanting and wanting on your site for -so- long is a timestamp on your main page weblogs.asp.net/.../default.aspx to know when your blog posts were written. I hope you could add that :)

I'm hoping to be able to re-skin my blog in the next few months - at which time I'll definitely add a date next to each post!

Thanks,

Scott

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 4:20 AM by Zeeshan Umar

Scott,

I just like to thank you for your continuous contribution throughout last year. Your posts were really useful for me and other community members. Keep going like that.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 7:40 AM by Mike G

Thanks Scott for the advice on vista Service Pack 2 - the installation ran just fine and left everything in good order.

Mike

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 8:11 AM by Ajit

Scott, You are a mini-MSDN to us. Thank you.

Friday, January 7, 2011 8:54 AM by John

Windows phone 7 and silverlight 4 were the heightlights for us in 2010.

Friday, January 7, 2011 8:55 AM by Megane

Wow .net rocks, eargerly awaiting new releases in 2011.

Friday, January 7, 2011 10:58 AM by jagdipa

Hi Scott,

I must say, your posts are brilliant and I hope to see more (especially web forms ones ;)

I have one question. Many developers are not just using Visual Studio, but must also be the DBA's. Most of us can handle code change, but what about database changes? How do we develop the next version of an application while ensuring that the data for the current version is not lost?

I was wondering whether you could do a post on this, or maybe know where the best place to find this out would be.

Sunday, January 9, 2011 1:34 AM by Rupesh Tiwari

Thanks Scott

Happy new year..

I was watching out your video program on MIX "Ask The Gu"

that was also great...

keeping updating us nice work...

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:13 AM by Santosh Arisetty

Hi Scott,

I must agree that your posts are concise and brilliant. Thanks for providing such beautiful blogs

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:35 PM by NYC Dot Net

Soctt, thanks for your useful tutorials, and certainly I feel your blog is the most useful one for .net developers.

It is amazing to see you can introduce the new products/features in a few concise sentences with a few pictures.

Happy new year, and best wishes!

Monday, January 17, 2011 1:21 AM by novice

I have a master page MasterMain and a content page MyTest.

Inside the content page, MyTest, I have a text box control txtTestControl.

In the MyTest.aspx.cs, I am trying to assign a string value to the text property of the text box control.

Depending on what value is populated in the textbox, in the MyTest.aspx page, I am trying to

extract the value using the document.getElementByID().value in a java script function.

My problem is, if I hardcode the value in the Text Property of the textbox, I can extract it from MyTest.aspx page

But if I assign value like txtTestControl.Text = "abc" in the page load, it returns blank or null.

How do I assign value to the text property of a textbox control inside a content page?

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:18 AM by Joao

>>We have a Silverlight 4 update coming out shortly that will fix the remaining memory leak issues having to

>>do with Datatemplates.

>>Hope this helps,

>>Scott

Could you please provide a realistic time frame when we can expect the fix?

Thanks a lot!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:24 PM by ScottGu

@Joao,

>>>>>>> This issue is really urgent for us and it's being dragged since August last year. Could you please provide a realistic time frame when we can expect the fix?

Can you send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) about this?  I can then connect you with someone to help.

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, February 11, 2011 8:26 AM by pranay

thanks for sharing good stuff