Fast on the heels of the WSS SP2 release, Microsoft now brings you SPS SP2. In case you're confused about the letters, this is Service Pack 2 for SharePoint Portal Server. Yup, now you can have SP2 goodness with both WSS and Portal Server (remember kids, they are two different things). First off, here's the link so start your downloads.
The following Knowledge Base articles provide information about the various fixes included in this service pack.
- KB 887623 Description of Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server 2003 Service Pack 2
- KB 906337 Issues that are fixed in SharePoint Portal Server 2003 by SharePoint Portal Server 2003 Service Pack 2
- KB 907763 SPS requires ASP.NET 1.1 be installed on the server if ASP.NET 2.0 is also installed.
- KB 907377 How to address the case where SPS SP 2 does not updated the databases during service pack installation
Additionally, SP2 introduces support for the following:
- Support for running on 64-bit machines in 32-bit emulation mode
- Support for Reverse Proxy and Alternate URL support
- Support for IP-Bound virtual servers
- Support for off-box SSL termination
- Support for SQL Server 2005
Lastly, SharePoint Portal Server 2003 with SP2 will be Kerberos-enabled by default. Goodness. Now your entire WSS and SPS installation can be fruitful and multiply.
Thanks to Ryan Rogers for the info on this release.