Hey, what's a girl to do when his brain is just cooking with goofy ideas. With more ideas than can fill the Exxon Valdez, but not enough time to do them here's the latest chicken scratch courtesy of your friendly neighborhood MVP.
The SharePoint Knowledge Base Web Part!
It's a single web part (backed by multiple lists again, seems to work for my SharePoint Forums Web Part) that let's you create questions, assign them to categories, and rate and comment on them. I've dug around the net on various knowledge base software and pulled together the features that I think makes up a good kb web part. Here's a rundown of the features:
- Ability to add as many questions as you like
- Ability to add and categorize questions into categories (including multiple categories for a single question)
- Search capabilities to find questions and answers
- Rating for each question (was this helpful - yes/no)
- Add comments for each question
- Moderation of questions (or you can leave it open so questions are published immediately)
- View questions by category (with number of questions displayed)
- Quickly jump to any category instantly from the main page
- Assign related questions to other questions
- Attach any number of files to a question
Of course, no announcement would be worth it's dirt without opening the kimono so here's some screenies:
The main display of searching, selection by category, and the category display:
Displaying a single question with option to print, email, add comments, etc.
Watch for a release later this month (probably after the August drop of the SharePoint Forums, need to get a new project setup on CodePlex for this ;)